Cancelling Dish is it Easy?

gtjr92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I am seriouslly considering cancelling dish. I really like it, but with Netflix,Boxee, Hulu etc. I just don't get the value out of it any more. I have a HTPC that I can record OTA TV too. The only real benefit I get from dish is sports. Since college basketbal season is almost over, and Baseball season doesn't interest me until September... I see no reason to pay for DISH for at least a few months, or maybe I'll got with some other alternative for Sports later.
I met my contract requirements long time ago. I have had dish for at least 3 years now.

Anyway will they try to charge me any feex to ship my set top box back? What about the dish on my roof??
Thanks

Have you tried using the search feature provided on this forum to see if the answers to your questions might have already been asked and discussed? It works pretty well and you might be able to find all you need to know about canceling and what you need to do and what it will cost.

You may want to downgrade to a lower package while you debate your possible move, Dish does have some nice lower "tier" packages if there are times that your TV viewing decreases.Yes Dish will charge you I believe $15.00 for shipping labels, your dish stays though they may ask for LNB

Good luck to you!

And yes, the search feature can help you out with possible questions you may have!

Have you tried using the search feature provided on this forum to see if the answers to your questions might have already been asked and discussed? It works pretty well and you might be able to find all you need to know about canceling and what you need to do and what it will cost.

Yes I did and I did not see any recent posts concerning this.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just needed a heads up so there are no surprises when I cancel. Even at the cheapest package Dish just doesn't provide value for me when it's not football or college basketball season.

Just suspend your account between seasons. You're contract will be spread out forever, but you won't have to worry about cancellation fees @ $10/month left on your contract.

Yes, you PAY to ship the boxes back if you cancel. And yes, you will need to go to the trouble of accessing the reflector and disconnect, not so easy to do properly by one who does not do this everyday, and send back the LNBF's back, very rare exceptions made, if you cancel.

As long as you have paid your bills on time, don't want the $10.00 off and 3 ppv freebies and you're not within contract, canceling is easy. What I don't understand is, do we pay one month in advance for sat service, and if so how come there is no refund, and why is there a "pay the amount due to restore service to your account" which includes a monthly charge and other charges? I already paid my bill at the beginning of the month and I canceled a week later. It should be prorated one way or another.

Yes I did and I did not see any recent posts concerning this.
There's something terribly wrong with the search feature. I just tried "cancel dish" at the newest post was 2009. The new version of the forum software has some pretty weird ideas about search scope and the answers it returns.

Nevertheless, the canceling process hasn't changed appreciably since 2005. Here's a link to the DISH FAQ: http://www.dishnetwork.com/faq/default.aspx?Category=Disconnect Service (their search function works as you might expect).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)