Cancelling my DVR 522? Contract?

kos10

Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm a new member so be nice :D to me. I sign up for Dish Network like 4 or 5 months ago through a website called www.vmcsatellite.com (don't ever order from them horrible CS and all). I didn't know what I was getting into so the story is that I sign up for with these idiots and dish network themselves sends me the dish stuff. I got it installed for free and blah blah blah... My question is that I wanted to cancel my DVR 522 because its not the same as TIVO or RePlay the recording aspects of it. IMO I think the 522 sucks. So I wanted to cancel the DVR called up vmcsatellite.com and they said I'm under contract with them and I can't cancel and if I do I will be charge for some kind of cancellation fee, not sure what that fee is pertaining to. But I'm not under a contract with Dish Network, so my question is that if I cancel my DVR 522 with Dish Network, will vmcsatellite.com know that I cancelled my DVR and vmcsatellite.com will some how find out and charge me for whatever fees (ie. the free installation is not free no more). Does anyone in here know or know someone that has gone through this or in this sort of situation??? Any information is helpful...

Thanks.

vmcsatellite will definitely know about it because dish network will charge them back as soon as you cancel. the dealer will want to recoup the money they lost, so they will roll the chargeback over to you. you probably signed a 3rd party contract with vmc, so if you do cancel you would be breaking it and they would have a right to charge you. keep in mind that the only reason the installation was free is because they anticipate you staying for at least a year, otherwise they lose the money paid out to the installer.

now if the 522 isnt working the way it should(which is HIGHLY possible judging from all the complaints here), then thats another story. they should at least make an effort to correct or replace it. but it sounds to me that you are just not happy with the features, in that case you shouldve done your homework.

Kos10 have VMC fax you a copy of the contract with your signature on it. If you signed a 1 year contract with them they can provide a copy. If they can't provide a copy I would say you never agreed to the terms. DISH Network DHA(Digital Home Advantage) at that time was a no commitment agreement. In many states if there is a third party contract it may not be enforcable as it conflicts with the DISH agreement. If they can provide a copy that you signed you may want to contact an Attormey to find out if it is enforcable. As another poster stated you should have done your homework before buying off the internet, it isn't always a bargin just because it is on the internet.

According to the Terms and Conditions on the VMC website (you did read those)

http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/terms.cfm

***"As an inducement to receive this FREE INSTALLATION OFFER from VMC Satellite, Inc., you are making a one year commitment to remain a Dish Network subscriber, without interruption. By placing your order by phone or via the Internet, you agree that VMC Satellite, or its agent(s), may charge you an early termination fee/non activation fee of $290 in the event that your service is never activated (or) once activated, is interrupted or terminated within the first twelve months. ... Your use of the services provided by VMC and Dish Network shall confirm your acknowledgment of this fee."

Now I'm not sure if this is enforceable but it will probably cost you more than $290 to find out in court.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I ordered from VMC in February and I can't wait for February to roll around again. I checked their website and found out about the $290 fee, so I decided to just live with it for a few more months. Plus, maybe by then D* will have given some indication of where they are going to take the DTivo.

I think this should be a warning to anyone considering Dish. If you sign up directly with Dish, you're fine. You can cancel free and clear and there really is no committment. The fact that 3rd party companies try and bind you to a contract when Dish touts "no committment" (note: their website used to say that but now says something like "no Dish Network committment"), those companies shouldn't even offer the DHA.

Sure people like to go with a smaller company or a local one on the presumption of better service, but for them to do this is deceitful. Well, I suppose if you read the contract there's no deceit. Heh, funny thing is, you probably don't sign 'til the job's done. What would happen if you discovered this other contract and it's clauses and said "take the equipment out" ?? :)

Exactly. I signed up through dish and have no contract at all. They try to tell you that it's better to sign u plocally, but it's not.

hall said:
I think this should be a warning to anyone considering Dish. If you sign up directly with Dish, you're fine. You can cancel free and clear and there really is no committment. The fact that 3rd party companies try and bind you to a contract when Dish touts "no committment" (note: their website used to say that but now says something like "no Dish Network committment"), those companies shouldn't even offer the DHA.

Sure people like to go with a smaller company or a local one on the presumption of better service, but for them to do this is deceitful. Well, I suppose if you read the contract there's no deceit. Heh, funny thing is, you probably don't sign 'til the job's done. What would happen if you discovered this other contract and it's clauses and said "take the equipment out" ?? :)

Come on guys. Call me stupid, but that is why I'm taking the chance in this business. I've seen too many people in your situation. I offer to go to the customers house, do a sight survey, and explain all the options available to them BEFORE they sign any papers. I'll even take the time to explain the 522 issues with them. No third party contracts involved. I just figure if they know what they are getting into, especially the wiring issues with the dual tuners or should they have a problem in the future, then they can call a "local" guy and will probably remain satisfied customer. No internet or 800 numbers.

hall said:

A big reason why SOME local retailers go for the contract is due to something called 'chargeback'. If you drop your service within a certain period of time, E* takes back the money the retailer was paid. So, they're trying to protect themselves. I'm not trying to justify it, just explain it.

My company does NOT force a local contract, and my boss tells me he averages one chargeback a year - no big deal, and an acceptable cost of doing business. The lost customer is probably just 'reality' - unemployment, moving away, pissed about E* equipment, whatever. The excellent service we provide, and the goodwill it generates more than makes up for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)