Cancelling, Termination Fee or Return

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dietamstel

Jan 20, 2006
I had become fed up with Directv's appearance of lack of good business principles with their customer base. Not to get into too many specifics, but after purchasing a H20 prior to 2/28 and sending in the rebate form, I received a letter stating that the rebate application was lacking information. It appears, although not stated anywhere on the rebate instructions that you have to also subscribe to the HD package. I am not too concerned about the rebate at this point since I purchased the unit at Costco, but it does appear they will do anything to make it difficult on at least one of their customers. During the adding of the respective H20 receiver, I ended up with a two year committment on my account. After complaining to customer retention about the committment issue, they gave me $20.00 off my bill for 6 months. After the rebate situation, I have come to the decision that I am no longer willing to support Directv on a basis of principle, as I am already subscribing to their TC premier every month, but getting the run around on simple items. My question is when the six months are up in August, (might as well get the full $20.00 per month), do I return the H20 to cancel my committment and/or have to pay the prorated termination fee as well? Sorry about the length of this post, but I am very frustrated with Directv in general.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I feel for you but to interject, failing to read the contractual agreements in full, which in this case are clearly stated, I think its not really their principals or ethics that are in question here, but a lack of attention to detail. Did you remember to make a photocopy of your rebate to dispute any discrepancies? You should feel lucky to get the $120 refund credit. I am not trying to sound rude, but signing off on the contracts and rebates mean that you have read, completely filled out in accordance to the rules and also understand and agree with the forms to the the fullest; if not, you could have called them in advance to address any concerns beforehand. IMHO.

Last edited:

dietamstel

Jan 20, 2006
First, off I did read the rebate form and it does not say the one has to sub to the HD package only that one has to sub to TC or above for 24 months. As for understanding the two year committment, when I added a Sony SAT300HD to my account last year, I did NOT have a two-year committment added to my account, so experience is what I went by. As for your comment about "signing" a contract, there was not anything to sign as I simply have a Costco receipt without any terms or conditions with regards to Directv not does one sign anything when activating over the phone. And yes, you are being rude, considering that you did not address my question on when I end up cancelling if I am returning the H20 and also paying a termination instead you tried to interpret that I am not smart enough to understand rebates and contracts.

Last edited:

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
You will just need to return the H20 or pay the termination fee (not both).

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
dietamstel said:
First, off I did read the rebate form and it does not say the one has to sub to the HD package only that one has to sub to TC or above for 24 months. As for understanding the two year committment, when I added a Sony SAT300HD to my account last year, I did NOT have a two-year committment added to my account, so experience is what I went by. As for your comment about "signing" a contract, there was not anything to sign as I simply have a Costco receipt without any terms or conditions with regards to Directv not does one sign anything when activating over the phone. And yes, you are being rude, considering that you did not address my question on when I end up cancelling if I am returning the H20 and also paying a termination instead you tried to interpret that I am not smart enough to understand rebates and contracts.
The terms of your contract are available from Directv and they do spell out your termination agreement, so Charper1 is correct about you being at fault.:mad:

dietamstel

Jan 20, 2006
Wow, I joined this forum for information and assistance, but instead it appears that it is just easier to not question the almighty Directv. That being said, I did keep copies of the respective rebate and here are the details; "Both $100 and $200 rebate offers valid nationally through 2/28/06 for customers who purchase 24 consecutive months (without interruption) of any Total Choice programming ($41.99/mo or above)." I did fill out the form, I did attach Original dated sales receipt, I did attach a copy of Directv bill showing the receiver activated and I did mail the rebate. And all I am asking is that when I cancel do I return the H20 and/or pay a termination fee or is that waive if I give them back the H20 to end the committment/contract?

Last edited:

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Not to beat a dead horse, but the rebate form DOES, in fact, state this:
(if you flip it over, it's right there in black & white)

"For $100 rebate, DVR service activation also required. For $200 rebate,
DIRECTV HD package activation required."

Sorry, but it was on my rebate form, so I would think it was on yours as well... ;)
Now, of course it does NOT say how LONG you have to keep the HD pak, but I plan on disconnecting it AFTER I get my rebate, & since I'm getting it FREE for 3 months, not a big deal to get $200. :D

Last edited:

dietamstel

Jan 20, 2006
Once again, I posted this thread not about why I am not getting the rebate, but rather what happens when I cancel Directv in August? I am not concerned about the respective rebate as even when I purchased the H20 had no plans to apply for the rebate, but after speaking to customer retention, she told me to send it the rebate since I qualified for it. Do I return the H20 to cancel? Do I also pay a termination fee? Which only one replier answered the topic on this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

loki23

Mar 29, 2006
Since you got the reciever prior to 3/1/06 you own your reciever, therefore you can return the reciever with a $20 fee and have the early cancellation fee waived.

There, question answered.

The reason people are responding to your question the way they have is because your question makes you sound like an ass. You are blaming D* for something you should have checked out(assumptions?). Secondly you state you have a problem with the business practices (ethics) of D*, but you have no problem waiting to cancel your service until your discount runs out. If you are cancelling with D* on "PRINCIPLE" I do think that principle would apply before you discount ends.

dietamstel

Jan 20, 2006
Let see if I get this straight, I am an ass and lacking business principles because I am waiting until the end of a "we appreciated your business discount"? I have paid for both of my HD receiver without any promotions from Directv, so after subing to their highest package, and if you do the math on the premier package, there is no savings on this tier. So, I don't see that taking their discount that they gave me for my frustration over, yes, my mistake, is out of line. But, thank you for answering my main question and my apologies for venting in my first post.

topcats69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Willmar,MN
dietamstel said:
Let see if I get this straight, I am an ass and lacking business principles because I am waiting until the end of a "we appreciated your business discount"? I have paid for both of my HD receiver without any promotions from Directv, so after subing to their highest package, and if you do the math on the premier package, there is no savings on this tier. So, I don't see that taking their discount that they gave me for my frustration over, yes, my mistake, is out of line. But, thank you for answering my main question and my apologies for venting in my first post.

Sound like they gave a nice rebate to keep you going for 6 months until your rebate works out. So send that rebate and quit wineing about it.

P.s you got your answer which if your read your contract it is in there also.:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts