Can'nt record on 922

Koilvr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
In a house
I have noticed that if I am watching a show and 30 min into it if the show is for 30 min I hit rewind to the beginning and hit record I can not. Why is that? Anyone notice this crappy 922 can not rewind and record the program you want?

Yea every time I reboot I wait the same thing every time it just won't record. I also lose what I wanted to record.

I've seen this too on my 922. I don't think it has anything to do with a reboot.

It appears the use of live buffers has been castrated. Or at least majorly modified from 622/722 behavior. The program guide appears to control when the record button will work or not.

So if you paused a show 15 minutes into a half hour show. Went away for a half hour (kids, life, food, other tv input, anything) and realized that you want to record the rest to view later, you are hosed. If the program guide has gone on to the next show, you can press the record button until your face turns blue, nothings gonna happen.

Particularly sucks for things like sports, playoff hockey can go an indefinite time, program guide info never matches it. Program guides get out of sync all of the time in my experience being a Dish customer... now there is just a penalty to it.

It seems to coincide with the no manual timers. This is a big gotcha that I haven't seen described in any of the existing threads so far. Can't really call it a bug, as it appears to be as designed. Since all of the recordings show a funky little icon for each show.

On the 622/722, it would just record under the follow shows program info. That might not be granular enough for Dish/Sling/Google/Media Providers so they neutered the behavior. Hopefully as the software revs come out, they will add back in manual timers and full buffer functionality like recording to disk what's in it.

Note this is all my speculation, but this is what I've observed and would explain what you see in using the live buffers.

So far, with the 922, I have to set everything I might want to see to record, as auto-tune is too risky if you just tune it in live, pause it for the hour, if the prog info changes, bye bye.

Hope this helps.

:rant: This is a major lost in use. Many times I see something is a program that I'd like to share with friends and family and the darn 922 will not respond as expected. Why are the firmware updates taking so long?

Thanks for the suggestion Mike.

I just tried it where I had last 15 mins of a show in the buffer and news has been on for 10 mins. So I rewound the buffer to the start.

The option comes up, for the program that you were viewing, if I select Record This, the dialog box goes away. No record light comes on. Nothing in the My Recordings area.

I did it a couple of times to verify this and on the 3rd or 4th time, the red light lit for a split second. So I did it again to verify. This time, when I go into My Recordings, there were 3 icon listings of the show. All listed as 1 minute long in the My Recordings screen. If I play them, one is 7 seconds, one is 56 seconds and one is 53 seconds, all containing snippets of the news, not the buffer contents. (which had about 25 minutes all together).

OK, that looks like it may be a bug then if they offer the option in the info screen and the behavior is so inconsistent. Does it work for you Mike?

One more thing, the screen was still paused at the proper buffer location after I hit the Record This option when it appeared to do nothing and when the 3 short recordings wrote.

It flushed when I went into watch the first recording to verify it.

I probably could have watched the end of that program again live, just couldn't put it to DVR for later, which was the whole point. 6/722s write the whole buffer.

The news that was in my short recordings were the finish of the story that started before I hit rewind to start the test. So not what one would expect based on using other Dish dvrs.

I've seen this too on my 922. I don't think it has anything to do with a reboot.

It appears the use of live buffers has been castrated. Or at least majorly modified from 622/722 behavior. The program guide appears to control when the record button will work or not.

So if you paused a show 15 minutes into a half hour show. Went away for a half hour (kids, life, food, other tv input, anything) and realized that you want to record the rest to view later, you are hosed. If the program guide has gone on to the next show, you can press the record button until your face turns blue, nothings gonna happen.

Particularly sucks for things like sports, playoff hockey can go an indefinite time, program guide info never matches it. Program guides get out of sync all of the time in my experience being a Dish customer... now there is just a penalty to it.

It seems to coincide with the no manual timers. This is a big gotcha that I haven't seen described in any of the existing threads so far. Can't really call it a bug, as it appears to be as designed. Since all of the recordings show a funky little icon for each show.

On the 622/722, it would just record under the follow shows program info. That might not be granular enough for Dish/Sling/Google/Media Providers so they neutered the behavior. Hopefully as the software revs come out, they will add back in manual timers and full buffer functionality like recording to disk what's in it.

Note this is all my speculation, but this is what I've observed and would explain what you see in using the live buffers.

So far, with the 922, I have to set everything I might want to see to record, as auto-tune is too risky if you just tune it in live, pause it for the hour, if the prog info changes, bye bye.

Hope this helps.

I agree and noticed the same thing I hope they fix it and let you domit like the 722.

I tried it on an ota channel this morning for ABC -Good Morning America. I rewound it to the begining and hit info screen and record this. It said that a recording was already in progress on the other tuner of the same show , so it didn't record it. But the screen was there to hit record. I might try it later on a show I don't have a recording of going and see if it records.

Just to clarify, I was not using an OTA channel when I experienced this. I mainly watch the sat channels and my test was on a sat delivered local.

OTA behavior can be dodgy based on signal loss, etc. So a recording oddity would probably be more likely and easier to dismiss.

I get the buffer not being able to write completely to disk on sat channels. And by completely, I mean not at all.

Only when the program info has changed to the next program.

Other than this and waiting for the EDD stuff to be turned on, I really like the 922.

It doesn't get nearly as hot as my old 622, ui is very fast, I like the new program guide and program info boxes, it has a ton of disk space (which makes the EDD lack less of an issue) and overall retains much of the performance and charm of it's predecessors.

When the web stuff comes out, this unit will be the one to have. Not having a slingbox prior to this, I already love this functionality and freedom. Dish needs to provide it's own web interface to it separate from the account mgmt stuff, but that's easy enough to accomplish. I hope that it's on their list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts