Can't access local channels.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Ever since DirecTV installed HD Access + equipment on my Vizio GV52L I can't access my local HD channels through the built-in antenna. Does anyone know a work around this?

I know DirecTV already offers my local channels in HD, but they don't offer KCAL and My13 for me in HD like my built-in antenna does. This will be a problem for me come basketball season when I wanna watch my team play in HD.

What make /model DirecTV receiver?

Is the OTA antenna wired directly to the new DirecTV HD receiver or via a diplex setup that was there previously? With the new setups (Ka/Ku), you must run a dedicated RG6 line from the OTA antenna to the receiver.

i have no idea what you just said. i wasn't there when the directv guy installed the new receiver. i just know it's the H20 receiver with the b-band converter and i'm using an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV.

How did you receive your locals before; how was it connected to your previous receiver? You say the "built-in" antenna?

yea I have a built-in ATSC/NTSC Tuner on my TV. The regular (SD) channels would be 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, etc. and the HD versions of those (DT) would be 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, etc..

but since they installed the new HD receiver, even when I turn it off and I try to view locals it says "no signal."

with my old receiver if I turned off the DirecTV I can go back to viewing my local channels with the built-in tuner.

I understand about the ATSC tuner in your TV but what antenna did/do you have connected to it? The DirecTV receiver has its own ATSC tuner as well? It sounds as is they changed you TV's original setup in some way since the DirecTV receiver should now be your primary source; just connect your antenna to it's ATSC connection and run the scan/setup process. You local OTA channels wil appear side-by-side with the SAT channels in the EPG.

The installer probably failed to run the OTA antenna scan when he set it up for you, provided the OTA line is still going into the Antenna connection on the back of the receiver.

Check to make sure that the Antenna is connected in the correct spot and go from there.

Jimbo

The installer simply didn't connect your existing TV antenna to the receiver or TV set. That is why you don't have a signal any longer. Call D* or the installation company with your complaint.

As other posters said, the installer probably didn't connect your antenna. You can't use the Directv cables to get local channels over the air. That's what Charper1 was saying. You need to run a separate cable from your antenna directly to the Directv box where it says antenna in. You should get your local channels then. Let us know what happens.

i'm not sure how to connect the antenna, i don't even know where it is? is there a difference between the tuner and the antenna? because there are, at least, no "bunny ear antennas (external)" and I just scanned for my channels through the "antenna mode" when i first got the tv.

QUOTE=GWHiZiTSPHiL;1019023]i'm not sure how to connect the antenna, i don't even know where it is? is there a difference between the tuner and the antenna? because there are, at least, no "bunny ear antennas (external)" and I just scanned for my channels through the "antenna mode" when i first got the tv.[/QUOTE]COMPLAIN to Directv that their installer messed up your TV ANTENNA reception. Have them comeback and repair the problem they created 800-531-5000.
:)

got it fixed!

thank you guys for all the help.

basically i had to re-scan the off-air channels through DirecTV's menu under satellite and antenna. it then picked it up so i can view my off-air channels that i don't get in HD from directv, through directv.

Auto program or scan ota..they call it different things..run it again with the correct feed selected. Also,
if you have no antenna there will be little or no signal...just the DTV feed from the dish.
And for sure no HD Digital TV (DTV)

The responses from all the others should get you in there. I think it is a button on your remote that needs a tweak. Which one.study the book.

Good luck,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)