Can't access Sling/Dishanywhere overseas?

beantown

Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Massachusetts
Hello all,
I'm trying to help my parents who are currently overseas and want to access their DVR recordings only (not live tv). I hooked up the sling adapter at their US home and am able to access their DVR recordings from my home in the states. When I spoke to my parents to walk them through the process we hit a problem... They can access dishanywhere and/or dish.com but when they attempt to login the connection does not complete and they eventually get some type of timed out internet message. It appears that logging into Dish is blocked outside of the US (they are in Portugal). I spoke to a Dish rep and apparently dishanywhere actually only applies as long as you're in the US which counters the Websters definition of "anywhere". Has anyone been successful getting this to work? I'd imagine there are plenty of people that want/need to access their DVR recordings when outside the US. I already had my parents try a couple of VPN extensions in Chrome (Browsec VPN and Hola) but was unsuccessful but I admittedly am unfamiliar with the use of VPNs/Proxies. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello all,
I'm trying to help my parents who are currently overseas and want to access their DVR recordings only (not live tv). I hooked up the sling adapter at their US home and am able to access their DVR recordings from my home in the states. When I spoke to my parents to walk them through the process we hit a problem... They can access dishanywhere and/or dish.com but when they attempt to login the connection does not complete and they eventually get some type of timed out internet message. It appears that logging into Dish is blocked outside of the US (they are in Portugal). I spoke to a Dish rep and apparently dishanywhere actually only applies as long as you're in the US which counters the Websters definition of "anywhere". Has anyone been successful getting this to work? I'd imagine there are plenty of people that want/need to access their DVR recordings when outside the US. I already had my parents try a couple of VPN extensions in Chrome (Browsec VPN and Hola) but was unsuccessful but I admittedly am unfamiliar with the use of VPNs/Proxies. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Several of our members here reported getting DA overseas, so, AS USUAL, the CSR was wrong. I can not address your parent's situation, but,in theory, they should be able to connect to DA.

The digital rights that Dish has is for USA only. AFAIK, they have NO RIGHTS outside of USA, and that includes access to anything via DishAnywhere, so it does not surprise me that those overseas can not log into or access content from Dish Anywhere . As was suggested, you can try links above.

However, I would recommend using a Slingbox to stream anywhere in the world. Slingbox has no such restrictions upon where you want to stream, and many use it specifically for watching TV overseas. You would have to connect the Slingbox to a receiver/DVR/Client you prefer and, of course, have access to the internet. The Slingbox would "take over" the box it is connected to so it can control and stream. It would be as if the people overseas were right in front of the box controlling that particular pay-TV box, but only one party can stream from a Slingbox at one time. Slingbox is actually more reliable and less flaky than Dish Anywhere.

Go to the Slingbox site for more info. Also, Amazon and Best Buy sell Slingboxes. I would get ONLY the latest Slingboxes that are still supported such as the Slingbox 500, 350, M1 or M2. The 500 is the only one among the 3 to have an HDMI connections (but you may NOT want to use that connection as per next paragraph) is easily set up using your TV, while the other boxes can only be set up on-line. Also, the 500 has HDMI, Component, and Composite connections and the ability to switch among the 3 connections each of the 3 devices would use. The 350, M1 and M2 all have both component and composite but only support one device as they only have ONE set of audio connections.

IMPORTANT: if you will be Slinging pay-TV material (meaning anything OTHER than local stations using over the air antenna) you MUST use at least the COMPONENT (HD) or the Composite (SD) connections for those channels and its content to be view-able. If you use the HDMI connection (on the 500), the content will NOT be view-able.

The people overseas can view and have full control of the Slingbox and pay-TV receiver or DVR using a FireTV connected to their big TV using the free SlingPlayer app and watch on the big TV. Otherwise, they could also use a Roku connected to the TV and the free SlingPlayer app or even their mobile device. They would control the receiver/DVR/client by using a virtual remote control just like the real one at your home. Again, to the Slingbox website and Amazon, and don't worry about the ads in the free players, they aren't as intrusive as people say. It is pretty easy to either kill the ads like on YouTuve and no ads ever in full screen mode. It's just that people were used to the no ads experience and resent the change. Well, how are those software people and engineers going to be paid for after the initial sale of the box? That very situation is most likely why Slingbox will no longer make or sell any Slingboxes, but the Slingbox operations itself is not a huge burden on Sling Media; its the continued new features and support for new OS's that cost money.

Lastly, Sling Media has announced they are no longer making any more Slingboxes (due to cable and sat services having their own streaming apps), but have also stated that they will continue to sell current inventory until it runs-out and that all Slingboxes will continue to work for the future.

The best of luck to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)