Can't do my own installation?

Our neighbor across the street (a 'grandma') had Dish installed by a 'professional'. She kept losing signal off one satellite with just the slightest amount of rain. After I went and moved the skew by 10 degrees to what it was supposed to be, it worked fine. The other reason they require pros is that way (hopefully) you have to pay for 'faulty equipment'.

tedb3rd said:
Our neighbor across the street (a 'grandma') had Dish installed by a 'professional'. She kept losing signal off one satellite with just the slightest amount of rain. After I went and moved the skew by 10 degrees to what it was supposed to be, it worked fine. The other reason they require pros is that way (hopefully) you have to pay for 'faulty equipment'.

Just like any profession there is varying degrees of competence. Sounds like your nieghbor got a hack.

Mindless rules suck, especially when the rules assume we are all mindless!
The assumption is for the mindless front line CSR.

I have made this comment in more than one corporate meeting: any rule handed down from "on high" (corporate office) needs to apply to GOD! If there are exceptions, it's a bad rule and shouldn't be implemented.

So says the guy who used to follow rules but after years of skid marks on his head from people going over it now only follow rules upper management follows

Turns out doing my own installation would have ended in failure. The geniuses at my aforementioned Dish dealer had apparently used an LNB setup that caused the 3 satellite feeds to not come down on every coax. Fortunately, Satellites Unlimited came this time (Dish must have finally heeded my request to not send the other bunch) and their guy was amazing.

Anybody know a good marinade for crow?

bmorgan said:
Turns out doing my own installation would have ended in failure. The geniuses at my aforementioned Dish dealer had apparently used an LNB setup that caused the 3 satellite feeds to not come down on every coax. Fortunately, Satellites Unlimited came this time (Dish must have finally heeded my request to not send the other bunch) and their guy was amazing.

Glad you had a good experience.

That's who installed my first two Hoppers and Joeys (I installed the third.) Was your dude a white dude with longer hair, semi-skinny build, seems like the kind of guy that enjoys a good beer or four? lol. Anyway my installer guy was pretty cool, the Hopper installation was hell (1303 errors mostly) but I helped him out and it worked well (after 3 hours.)

My installer had preloaded the Hoppers and they were up in minutes.

bmorgan said:

Oh, I think a few of us may have that. <eyes up, whistling, foot drawing circles on ground>

;)

I have been doing my own installs and upgrades since 1999. Just switch to a 1000.4 last week. I buy my stuff online. Not a single f was given.