Can't FF through Sunday Ticket commercials

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ts7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
IL
Sorry if this has been posted before (I'm kind of surprised if it hasn't been)...

My wife discovered that Direct TV is prohibiting fast forward through those cheesy Sunday Ticket commercials. We can fast forward through everything else, but as soon as it hits that commercial we are forced to sit through it until it is over, then we can fast forward again.

If they are doing this with their own commercials, how long before we are forced to watch all of them? :eek:

This takes away a very valuable feature of having a DVR! :mad:

Sorry if this has been posted before (I'm kind of surprised if it hasn't been)...

My wife discovered that Direct TV is prohibiting fast forward through those cheesy Sunday Ticket commercials. We can fast forward through everything else, but as soon as it hits that commercial we are forced to sit through it until it is over, then we can fast forward again.

If they are doing this with their own commercials, how long before we are forced to watch all of them? :eek:

This takes away a very valuable feature of having a DVR! :mad:

I'd have to see that, I FF thru all commercials.
I'm sure there has been ST commercials on the shows I've watched, I don't think there is anyway they can control that.

Correction - it is the 30 second skip that won't work. She *is* able to FF through it.

Just tonight I've noticed local NYC-area commercials inserted during commercial breaks on TBS during/after the baseball game and Seinfeld after it. They air 2 of them, back to back within each commercial break, both showing up in shrunken 16x9 format.

Like the OP said, you can FF thru them but cannot 30-skip them... can also use 6-sec skip back button but this seems to mess w/ aspect ratio if you go back far enough to see the national commercial

Last edited:
Correction - it is the 30 second skip that won't work. She *is* able to FF through it.

"Whew" Thanks for posting this. I was starting to think "big brother" syndrome, or analogies of the "Empire" (Star Wars) or the "Alliance" ('Firefly' TV series). I've never thought about the capability of controlling DVR's, ie, forcing the ads by disabling the 30-sec skip or FF modes.

"Whew" Thanks for posting this. I was starting to think "big brother" syndrome, or analogies of the "Empire" (Star Wars) or the "Alliance" ('Firefly' TV series). I've never thought about the capability of controlling DVR's, ie, forcing the ads by disabling the 30-sec skip or FF modes.

Back in the day, there was talk that advertizes would make a ad that displays correctly when FF'd .... to battle the DVR.

Do they actually think that forcing ads is going to work? It will make me avoid these products. I hate marketing idiots.:mad:

For the most part, commercials are totally lost on me, so there's no point in limiting my ability to skip them. The more annoying or persistent the ad (denying me the ability to skip places it squarely in the annoying category), the less likely I am to run out and purchase the product being advertised. I'm sure most people think the same way.

Having time to notice how the commercials were placed into the commercial break I think they are part of the DVR's "secret" recording space.

When I was 30sec-skipping over the networks commercials you can see that the added "local" commercials were covering up a Match.com ad. While watching this recording on my other DVR thru MRV the Match.com ad plays normally and is never interrupted for the other ads.

Luckily since last night's post the ability to 30-sec skip thru these is as it should be.

Back in the day, there was talk that advertizes would make a ad that displays correctly when FF'd .... to battle the DVR.

I recall that now, memory jog. I'm ok as long as I can ff thru the ads. The skip is nice but if I have that ff, cool.

For the most part, commercials are totally lost on me, so there's no point in limiting my ability to skip them. The more annoying or persistent the ad (denying me the ability to skip places it squarely in the annoying category), the less likely I am to run out and purchase the product being advertised. I'm sure most people think the same way.

:up Same here. I've never heard most ads, with that mute button close by.

I just noticed the same thing in the last couple of weeks. Thought I was losing it for a while. Thanks for posting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)