Can't figure out how to create a timer by name

bill-e

Original poster
May 4, 2016
USA
Hi All,

I'm trying to create a timer for Hell On Wheels which is not in the guide yet. When I search for it I get a bunch of past on demand episodes but I cant see a way to record new episodes.

Is this possible with the H3 or has timers taken a huge step backwards?

Upgraded from VIP922 to H3

Thanks
Bill

Manual timer would require me to know when Hell On Wheels was going to air, and then if I created the timer it would record anything during that time slot....not what I want.

Timer by name was a feature created to copy what the TIVO had....started when they created the VIP's I believe.....without it one is limited to what is in the guide which in not at all adequate.

Manual timer would require me to know when Hell On Wheels was going to air, and then if I created the timer it would record anything during that time slot....not what I want.

Timer by name was a feature created to copy what the TIVO had....started when they created the VIP's I believe.....without it one is limited to what is in the guide which in not at all adequate.
If there is such a thing for the Hopper, I'd love to know about it - I don't believe there is though - unless the "record when available" option shows up in the "summary" tab when you search for the name

Timer by name has been a feature ever since DISH has had DVR's but done as a search. To my knowledge AMC has not even announced the date and time it will air. At least with the VIP you can't add a program not in the guide unless you do a manual recording.
TIVO does allow you to enter a show and then tell it to record all channels it appears on along with showings on Amazon and others even if that show is not in the guide.

Timer by name has been a feature ever since DISH has had DVR's. What I am not understanding, if it isn't in the guide yet how can the Hopper find it other than what it is finding? To my knowledge AMC has not even announced the date and time it will air.
I don't know how it actually works but with the VIP's (I had 622, 722 and 922) you could create the timer by name and the DVR would record shows that matched that name. TIVO called it Season Pass I think.

"ViP 922 DISH Network raised the bar when they released the ViP® 622 and ViP® 722 ... The DVR has name-based recording and recorded events management"

I'm sure Hopper does too but the show has to be in the guide VIP or not, it does not with TIVO that's the difference.

Really now. Explain the process of searching for a show when it does not come up as existing to record it other than a manual recording. The only other way is with DISH pass where you can pick all channels. Is that what you mean? Hopper does not have that DISH PASS feature?

I am not here to argue with you guys, I was hoping I was just not finding the feature and someone could enlighten me. The H3 is supposed to have Name Based recording like the VIP's but apparently it is not implemented yet.

From the Feature list of the H3

Plus All These Features

• HEVC decoding and 3D support
  • AutoHop skips ads on select recorded prime-time shows when you wait to watch them
  • Interactive TV with announcement stream capability
  • Up to 9-day picture-in-guide with optional widescreen electronic program guide (EPG)
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Name-based recording and advanced recommendation engine

The VIP receivers has "DISH Pass" Type in the name of show and when the show aired on any channel or a selected channel it would record.
the Hopper had "seek & record" you search for the show and when it wasn't found you pressed the button the create a seek and record timer so any time the the show aired it would then record.
The new Carbon UI doesn't have this feature but does have the option the "record when available" which appears to only be available when the show you are looking for is not in guide and not available on demand>

Reactions: Hall and bmetelsky
I am not here to argue with you guys, I was hoping I was just not finding the feature and someone could enlighten me. The H3 is supposed to have Name Based recording like the VIP's but apparently it is not implemented yet.

From the Feature list of the H3

Plus All These Features

• HEVC decoding and 3D support
  • AutoHop skips ads on select recorded prime-time shows when you wait to watch them
  • Interactive TV with announcement stream capability
  • Up to 9-day picture-in-guide with optional widescreen electronic program guide (EPG)
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Name-based recording and advanced recommendation engine
Name based recording is considered any timer created by selecting a show in the guide.

Reactions: xfoneguy
The VIP receivers has "DISH Pass" Type in the name of show and when the show aired on any channel or a selected channel it would record.
the Hopper had "seek & record" you search for the show and when it wasn't found you pressed the button the create a seek and record timer so any time the the show aired it would then record.
The new Carbon UI doesn't have this feature but does have the option the "record when available" which appears to only be available when the show you are looking for is not in guide and not available on demand>
So the specific issue with Hell on Wheels is that it has past seasons as On Demand? I don't understand the logic behind that, I would want to record new episodes not old ones.

EDIT: I wonder if I disconnect the network if the On Demand wont be available and thus enable seek and record? Granddaughter is watching TV right now so I'll check later on.

Thanks.

With the Carbon interface, Dish screwed up this feature. All you can do is a) wait for Dish to fix it or b) wait for it to show in the guide.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: xfoneguy
With the Carbon interface, Dish screwed up this feature. All you can do is a) wait for Dish to fix it or b) wait for it to show in the guide.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Do we know if this feature is on their list?

Just saw a commercial for Hell on Wheels. It starts on June 11th or 12th.

I tried setting a timer for it again but as noted, there's no "record when available" button and since it's too far out, it doesn't show any of the scheduled airings to grab yet.

Time for an new EHD for the H3

Loyalty Promo ending

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)