Can't Find 61.5

BOBinENC

Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I've searched this forum for info regarding aiming a Dish 500 at a 61.5 and tried everything I have found, but still can't get a lock on the sat. My HD locals were recently put on 61.5. My current equipment:

1) SuperDish at 110 and 119
2) Dish 500 at 129 (dish pro LNB and y-adapter with LNB on the 119 side )
3) DP34 switch
4) VIP 622

My zip is 28570, and dishpointer gave me an azimuth of 163.7 deg. and elevation of 46.4 deg. for the 61.5 sat. The skew is set at 90 deg. After adjusting the dish 500 I went into the dish point menu and selected dish 500 and 61.5 sat the signal meter says wrong sat and then locks on 110. I have also tried the check switch test, but after it completes I get the warning that says there are fewer satellites connected. I have also tried various elevations and azimuth settings with no luck. Is the elevation of 46.4 equivalent to 46.4 on the scale imprinted on the dish? Any other suggestions/tips?

In the dish menus you should select dish 300 and 61.5 to check the signal strength, the azimuth will vary a little because of the offset on the y adapter - it will probably be best to disconnect sat in coax from the back of your receiver, run check switch to clear the switch matrix in the receiver,then reconnect sat in coax, select dish 300/61.5 in the menu, adjust dish till you get a decent signal, then run a check switch - should then be good to go

In the dish menus you should select dish 300 and 61.5 to check the signal strength, the azimuth will vary a little because of the offset on the y adapter - it will probably be best to disconnect sat in coax from the back of your receiver, run check switch to clear the switch matrix in the receiver,then reconnect sat in coax, select dish 300/61.5 in the menu, adjust dish till you get a decent signal, then run a check switch - should then be good to go
I'd also replace the "Y" tube with an "I" tube from The DishStore.net for all of $4.95. It isn't critical, but makes for an easier installation session as you use the numbers for a Dish 300 directly without adjusting for the offsets, plus I think it looks better not having an open hole for the wasps to nest in!

What about the elevation, is the elevation of 46.4 equivalent to 46.4 on the scale imprinted on the dish?

Bob, I'd say yes. 46.4°? Boy, you're practically under the satellite (not really). It's not an exact measurement: 46 will get you close enough. The big thing is to not crank the elevation down too tight because after you get the azimuth peaked, you can adjust the elevation to peak 61.5° even further.

you may also want to try peaking from east to south. just make sure that you tighten your azimuth bolts, not all the way down but just enough to where it does not give you any play with your elevation. i find sometimes when you are peaking in a dish and azimuth bolts are loose your elevation tends to "sag" and is not your true elevation.

same problem

I have the same problem as you do with almost exactly the same setup, expect for a Dish 300 for 61.5 and a SW64. If after running the switch test you select save you'll get the result of the switch test. In my case it shows that I've lost input 2 from the Dish 300. I'm betting a switch problem but a technician is supposed to come out on Tuesday. I'll post the result after they leave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)