Can't Get 811 Thru DishinItUp Would this Work?

Chop-Chop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Hi I recently tried contacting Dish about upgrading my 2nd receiver to an 811 but they told me that since I already upgraded my 1st receiver (got a 510 back in January) earlier this year I do not qualify :what . Anyhow. They said that only once a year you can upgrade only one receiver. I am thinking about getting an 811 off ebay. I have a 119/100 + 148 system with one coax coming to my Receiver. If I get an 811 could I just use a splitter then connect the two feeds to each receiver (1--510 and 1-->811) and connect them to different inputs on my HDTV. Would this work ok? Any problems with this setup? Also in the future I may get the Voom channels and will get the 61.5 dish installed. Is there anything I would need to tell the installer to future proof for maybe a 942 in the future ? Thanks

Unfortunately each receiver needs a dedicated line off the dish.

To get D500/148 and 61.5 you'll need to get a DPP44 to tie all 4 sats together.. unless you really don't need locals on your 811. Then you can use a 21 switch (dp or legacy depending on your dish) and tie your 61.5 dish with your D500 to your 811, the 148 dish to your DVR.

Also, from what I am hearing you can't purchase an 811 off ebay and have E* activate it since E* only leases the 811 at this time.... I may be wrong but I'd verify this before I put money down on one from ebay...

That is not correct, I have bought two 811's off E-Bay, no problems to activate. Just buy from a user with Good feedback history of over 100, and make sure it is a new in box or if used, has no balance and is not a leased unit.

I have 7 receivers, 3 811's, 1 510, 2 311's and a 1 921 running off 2 dish 500's legacy, a dish 300 dual lnb pointing at 61.5 with SW21 switches.

Chop-Chop said:
Hi I recently tried contacting Dish about upgrading my 2nd receiver to an 811 but they told me that since I already upgraded my 1st receiver (got a 510 back in January) earlier this year I do not qualify :what . Anyhow. They said that only once a year you can upgrade only one receiver. I am thinking about getting an 811 off ebay. I have a 119/100 + 148 system with one coax coming to my Receiver. If I get an 811 could I just use a splitter then connect the two feeds to each receiver (1--510 and 1-->811) and connect them to different inputs on my HDTV. Would this work ok? Any problems with this setup? Also in the future I may get the Voom channels and will get the 61.5 dish installed. Is there anything I would need to tell the installer to future proof for maybe a 942 in the future ? Thanks

Keep in mind that if you buy an 811, it will be obsolete within a couple years when Mpeg-4 is launched. As long as the person you purchase the 811 from calls E* and tells them he sold/transferred it to you, you should be able to activate it. E* will show the receiver belonging to that person and will not activate it until they get word from the seller. At least that is what I had to do when I got an additional receiver from a neighbor who dropped E* and owned his equipement.

jbcheshire said:
Well i will retract my statement then...
Thanks for correcting me guys.

Remains to be seen what E* will do since they are so inconsistant. When I originally bought my setup, I was told it was "unauthorized" and they wouldn't activate it, even though I bought it at Sears who was an authorized dealer! Of course, it took several phone calls and a supervisor to get it straightened out.

Surprisingly, the transfer of the receiver was easier.

jbcheshire said:
Also, from what I am hearing you can't purchase an 811 off ebay and have E* activate it since E* only leases the 811 at this time.... I may be wrong but I'd verify this before I put money down on one from ebay...

Wrong. I just got my 811 off of ebay. Had no problem activating it.

They just asked if it was purchased and activated it.

Got the hd pack, and voom hd for $14.95/mo (they did not charge me for $5/mo for no-AT pack, I don't know why)

I also asked about ownership and they said it was transferred to my name. So when mpeg-4 comes out, I am sure I will get a free rcvr.

phil

not correct

Harry said:
Keep in mind that if you buy an 811, it will be obsolete within a couple years when Mpeg-4 is launched. As long as the person you purchase the 811 from calls E* and tells them he sold/transferred it to you, you should be able to activate it. E* will show the receiver belonging to that person and will not activate it until they get word from the seller. At least that is what I had to do when I got an additional receiver from a neighbor who dropped E* and owned his equipement.

I just bought 2 811s from ebay, and I have sold receivers on ebay. You do not have to call dish and tell them you are selling or transferring it

You should make sure it has a zero balance though

jeslevine said:
I just bought 2 811s from ebay, and I have sold receivers on ebay. You do not have to call dish and tell them you are selling or transferring it

You should make sure it has a zero balance though
The seller should provide the card numbers to the buyer. The buyer should protect himself by calling Dish with the numbers to check any balances.

TO Chop-Chop Ask to talk to a supervisor on getting a 811 and if that don't work tell them you will cancel there service and go to there competitor if they don't let you upgrade to a 811.I had a 811 and returned it and they told me i couldn't get it because I returned it once and I couldn't do it until the year is up so I told them I want to speak to a supervisor and she told me the same thing and I told her to cancel my service if you won't give me a 811 receiver and I will go to Direct tv and she gave me my 811 and the half off the HD programming for the year and am Vooming to for $5.00 more.They don't want to lose you as a customer so try that.GOOD LUCK.

Thanks Adrian, Ill try using the Comcast threat and I'll see what happens

bcshields said:
Unfortunately each receiver needs a dedicated line off the dish.

To get D500/148 and 61.5 you'll need to get a DPP44 to tie all 4 sats together.. unless you really don't need locals on your 811. Then you can use a 21 switch (dp or legacy depending on your dish) and tie your 61.5 dish with your D500 to your 811, the 148 dish to your DVR.

I currently get my HD locals from an LG STB with its proper antenna. I have a DP setup and I am not getting any programming off 148. Does this change anything?

adrian777 said:
she gave me my 811 and the half off the HD programming for the year and am Vooming to for $5.00 more.They don't want to lose you as a customer so try that.GOOD LUCK.

What did you pay upfront for the box (shipping, etc).