Can't get a signal...

Maxx Excaliber

Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
I am doing a self-setup and have a SuperDish 121. My receiver is a DP301.10 and knows nothing about a Superdish.

I have the cable set up to the DP34 switch and then to the IRD. All cable is RG6U. I have it aimed as closely as I can eyeball it from a compass, and have everything set according to the instructions that came with the SuperDish, but I just can't get a signal. The "switch test" tells me everything is fine up to the LNBs, but just can't get a signal..

Zip is 30710. Can someone post the "correct" settings for SuperDish (121) for that zip? Thanks... :confused:

Maxx Excaliber said:
I am doing a self-setup and have a SuperDish 121. My receiver is a DP301.10 and knows nothing about a Superdish.

I have the cable set up to the DP34 switch and then to the IRD. All cable is RG6U. I have it aimed as closely as I can eyeball it from a compass, and have everything set according to the instructions that came with the SuperDish, but I just can't get a signal. The "switch test" tells me everything is fine up to the LNBs, but just can't get a signal..

Zip is 30710. Can someone post the "correct" settings for SuperDish (121) for that zip? Thanks... :confused:

On my DP301(don't know if this is the same as a DP301.10) I push menu-6-1-1 then choose 'Peak Angles' I then have a screen which gives me three Items;
Zip code, a choice of superdish, 500, or 300, and a choice of satellite(121W).
When I fill in these screens with your information I get Azimuth 234, Elevation 35 and skew of 130.

good luck,
cheers

Thanks for the settings!

Eastern OR said:
On my DP301(don't know if this is the same as a DP301.10) I push menu-6-1-1 then choose 'Peak Angles' I then have a screen which gives me three Items;
Zip code, a choice of superdish, 500, or 300, and a choice of satellite(121W).
When I fill in these screens with your information I get Azimuth 234, Elevation 35 and skew of 130.

good luck,
cheers

Thanks for the info! I'll go double-check my settings!

You do not need to run the check switch routine until adaquate signal strength is obtained. We use a meter to aim and peak a SuperDISH antenna, but you can do the same with your receiver.

Make sure that your elevation and skew settings are correct, and that your mast is plumb (EasternOR says that your Elevation is 35 and skew is 130)

Run a cable direct from 119 LNBF to one of your receivers (use a barrell connector at the switch to bypass).

Turn receiver to signal strength screen, place a checkmark in the 119 box to get 119 strength on the meter. You either need to have a friend communitate to you the signal changes, use a baby monitor or two way radio, or, if you have a small tv, you can take the set and the IRD outside and check the strength yourself.

Standing behind the dish antenna, roughly aim your dish antenna a little to the right of your azimuth setting of 234, and SLOWLY begin a sweep of the dish antenna to the left, until you get a signal lock on 119. You need to go slowly, as it takes a second or two for the meter to reflect where you are aiming. If you go too fast, by the time your meter shows a lock, you have gone past.

Once you get a lock, tighten your dish antenna to the mast, and pull the top, bottom, left and right sides of the antenna, noting on the strength bar any changes in the signal strength. Based upon this information, you may need to tweak the azimuth or the elevation. (you do not adjust the skew setting, once set.)

Place your switch back in the line, and run the switch test routine. Your receiver should now see 119 and 110, but nothing on 121. Let the receiver download new software, then it will see 121 as well.

You can then set your signal strength meter on 121, and tweak 121 as needed.

Getting 119 just fine...

Just can't seem to get any OTHER satellites. All we seem to get is "wrong satellite" but we get a pretty good signal (around 105-110.)

We've already tried the "unplug" test... I'm going to go back and re-read some posts in this forum. Thanks.

All's well!

Well, after letting moving it, tweaking in 110 (lost 119, but ended up getting 110 finally! <G>) I re-ran "check switch" and wonder of wonders, I've got all three satellites now!

Thanks all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)