Can't get any OTA HD

I guess could put something on my back deck but I dont think that would help there is a house directly behind me.

The fellow at radioshack confirmed what I had feared...I could only pickup PBS unless I have a large high external antenna. considering the mountainous area in which I live I am not suprised. If I could just get out of my contract I could go with Adelphia...they carry the local HD channels.

Go with both Dish and Adelphia. HD locals are normally carried in the locals only cable package, in my case approx $11/month plus taxes/fees (and that includes InHD and InHD2 with Comcast in Dallas)... Then add the 61.5 dish ($100 install) and voom channels ($5/month), and then you have just about all the HD channels commonly available out there. (OK, no UHD, but just about everything else...)

Considering the cost of a good HDTV set, another $130 upfront (assuming $100 for Dish to install 61.5 and $30 for cable install) plus $20/month (local channel cable package + Dish Network's Voom) is a bargain when you consider you need HD content to make it actually work as intended...

TJ22 said:
The fellow at radioshack confirmed what I had feared...I could only pickup PBS unless I have a large high external antenna. considering the mountainous area in which I live I am not suprised. If I could just get out of my contract I could go with Adelphia...they carry the local HD channels.

TJ22,

Like you I'm unable to get my HD Nets OTA because of local terrain. I use Comcast to get my locals in HD by subscribing to their limited basic package (about $15 a month). I don't have to subscribe to their much more expensive digital package to get HD stations because my HDTV has a built-in QAM tuner. You cannot receive your locals in HD via cable if you have an ATSC tuner. I get all other HD via Dish.

However, this setup may be reconfigured if Dish gets their HD distant nets up in the next month or two as reported/rumoured in other threads on this site.

Suggestions for getting OTA HD?

Here is my address:

1900 N. Ditman Ave. 90032

Any idea why no digital stations are listed at the antenna web site?? I can ONLY get local ABC HD content. Everything else, no signal.

Any suggestions? I've got maybe a 9 foot mast on a pretty small $25 RS antennna, do you think going bigger on both might help?

Second question, was I reading correct that DISH will be offering major network HD content soon?

thanks,
Dave

65notch said:
Here is my address:

1900 N. Ditman Ave. 90032

Any idea why no digital stations are listed at the antenna web site?? I can ONLY get local ABC HD content. Everything else, no signal.

Any suggestions? I've got maybe a 9 foot mast on a pretty small $25 RS antennna, do you think going bigger on both might help?

Second question, was I reading correct that DISH will be offering major network HD content soon?

thanks,
Dave

When I put your zip code into antennaweb I get these results

* red - uhf KTBN-DT 23.1 TBN SANTA ANA CA 20° 11.9 23
* red - uhf KTLA-DT 5.1 WB LOS ANGELES CA 19° 12.0 31
* red - uhf KWHY-DT 22.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 19° 12.0 42
* red - uhf KPXN-DT 30.1 i SAN BERNARDINO CA 22° 11.4 38
* red - uhf KRCA-DT 62.1 IND RIVERSIDE CA 22° 11.4 68
* red - uhf KXLA-DT 44.1 IND RANCHO PALOS VERDES CA 19° 12.0 51
* red - uhf KSCI-DT 18.1 IND LONG BEACH CA 22° 11.4 61
* red - uhf KOCE-DT 50.1 PBS HUNTINGTON BEACH CA 19° 12.0 48
* red - uhf KDOC-DT 56.1 IND ANAHEIM CA 19° 12.0 32
* red - uhf KTTV-DT 11.1 FOX LOS ANGELES CA 20° 11.9 65
* red - uhf KMEX-DT 34.1 UNI LOS ANGELES CA 19° 12.0 35
* red - uhf KCAL-DT 9.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 18° 12.0 43
* red - uhf KCBS-DT 2.1 CBS LOS ANGELES CA 16° 12.1 60
* red - uhf KVEA-DT 39 TEL CORONA CA TBD 22° 11.4 39
* red - uhf KNBC-DT 4.1 NBC LOS ANGELES CA 19° 12.0 36
* red - uhf KCET-DT 28.1 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 20° 11.9 59
* red - uhf KCOP-DT 13.1 UPN LOS ANGELES CA 18° 12.1 66
* red - uhf KFTR-DT 46.1 TFA ONTARIO CA 12-05 19° 12.0 29
* red - uhf KAZA-DT 54.1 AZA AVALON CA TBD 19° 12.0 47
* red - uhf KJLA-DT 57.1 IND VENTURA CA 19° 12.0 49
* red - uhf KLCS-DT 58.1 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 20° 11.9 41
* red - uhf KABC-DT 7.1 ABC LOS ANGELES CA 19° 12.0 53
* blue - uhf KVMD-DT 23.1 IND TWENTYNINE PALMS CA 78° 78.2 23
* violet - uhf KVCR-DT 26.1 PBS SAN BERNARDINO CA 85° 51.8 26
Note:

Everyone but the last 2 are within 12 miles from that zip code & all within 4 degrees of each other 18-22 degrees.

Is your antenna pointed in the right direction?

Do you have an amp on the antenna line? It might be overpowering the receiver.

Go over to the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum at AVS and find the the thread for your area/market & see what other people near you are having sucess with

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

That is if you only have UHF HD's. Some markets have a few VHF's and the silver sensor is a UHF antenna. There are indoor (attic) VHF/UHF combo's.

I have adelphia and the cheapest I can get the HD for is over $30. I have to have basic($18) and then HD($10) and then a set top box that is required($8) + fees and tax.

TJ22 said:
I have adelphia and the cheapest I can get the HD for is over $30. I have to have basic($18) and then HD($10) and then a set top box that is required($8) + fees and tax.

You should be able to get in the clear (non encrypted - no HBO, Showtime, PPV, On Demand, etc) HD from your cable company with a STB that has a QAM tuner. They are kinda rare but I know that LG has a few choices. I use the LG LST-3410a (PVR) but there is also the cheaper and readily available LST-3510a (HD tuner plus upconverting DVD player) and several of their tv's. I'm sure that other manufactures have QAM tuners as well - I'm just not familiar with them.

I only subscribe to Comcasts basic package and for $15 I get all of the major nets and a couple of independents. That's half your monthly costs, however, be prepared to spend $200 - $500 for the STB upfront. At least you'll own it, and the monthly savings will pay for your hardware in a year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts