Can't get broadband to connect

seattle vic

Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Hello,

I'm new here; got my Dish installed a week ago. I have two 722 receivers, and purchased a homeplug unit that I connected to my internet router. It worked and allowed me to search and download lists of movies that I could order. To test, I did download a couple of free movies and they worked. After a day (and for more than a week), I cannot download any broadband information, even though the system says I'm connected. I have an ip address assigned, dns, etc.

I've reset the box of course.

The technical support is not good; generally people who are thumbing through troublshooting guides written for them. I asked if they could check and see if my recievers have initiated requests on their site, but with little help. Language seems to be a barrier, so I assume I'm talking with India. They won't connect to an engineer or somebody who has any real technical knowledge.

The only thing I did between when it was working and not working was eliminated a GFI in the string of one of my receivers. For some reason, it worked with the GFI and is not working now. I don't know if that's the reason, but is the only difference I can see. I guess I'll go and put it back next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I did between when it was working and not working was eliminated a GFI in the string of one of my receivers. For some reason, it worked with the GFI and is not working now. I don't know if that's the reason, but is the only difference I can see. I guess I'll go and put it back next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I think you just answered your own question.

I think you just answered your own question.

Ha. Yes, you may be right. Counter-intuitive as they tell you to remove the GFI. I'm an old EE, so was trying to figure why making a direct connection (ie, no GFI) could make it worse, and it doesn't make sense.

But I'll switch it out tomorrow and let you'all know what happens.

Thanks for the reply.