Can't get Sling adapter to work with my Hopper

jahost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 2, 2006
Des Moines, IA
When I try to select a program from the guide on my pc is get a message about being able to watch if I had a sling adapter. I have one and it shows as active on my Hopper. Following is a chat I had with Dish.

Alaina (ID: XNJ): Hi, my name is Alaina (ID: XNJ). How may I help you?
John Host: When I try so select a program on my pc I get a message about buying a sling adapter. I already have a sling adapter hooked to my receiver and it says its active..
Alaina (ID: XNJ): I am sorry for the issue. I am confident that I can help you with this..
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Are you logged into DISHonline.com now?
John Host: Yes.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Can you tell me what are the last 4 digits of the receiver you have selected now?
John Host: 0128
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Try toggling it 725
John Host: ??? How?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): There should be an arrow next to that receiver number.
John Host: Yes. 0128 is my only selection.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Ok.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): One moment.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): You do have 2 Hoppers, right?
John Host: Yes. The 2nd hopper is not connected to the internet.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Please unplug the Sling adapter and wait 1 minute them plug it back in?
John Host: Ok.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Thank you.
John Host: OK. Now what.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Did the message pop up that you connected the Sling adapter?
John Host: You didn't tell me I had to have the receiver/tv on. Do I?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Yes you do.
John Host: One minute please.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Sure.
John Host: I got the message
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Press menu on the remote.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Select settings, network setup then broadband.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Does it show connected?
John Host: I am a long way away. Tell me the next several steps
Alaina (ID: XNJ): We will just need to know if it shows connected.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): We will then need to work with the computer.
John Host: ???What. The Internet?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Can you please tell me which web browser you are currently using?
John Host: I don't think that is the menu that shows the sling.
John Host: I have IE #9
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Do you have Firefox installed?
John Host: No.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): What other browsers do you have installed?
John Host: Probably none. If it don't work with IE Dish has a problem.
John Host: How about google crome?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): We usually advise our customers to try other browsers. Chrome has less of a success rate.
John Host: Well that is what I have.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Please clear your cache and cookies.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Are you aware of how to do that?
John Host: Cookies Yes. Cache?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Log out and then log back in to the DISHonline account.
John Host: Won't I lose this chat session if I do that?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): No.
John Host: Yes. I am going to lose this session. I have no other way to start dishoneline.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Start it in Chrome.
John Host: OK. Now what.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): When you click on guide and click on a program what options do you have?
John Host: PROGRAM / TIME / CHANNEL
ABC5 News Midday
11:00 - 12:00pm on WOI

News News/Business. New.

You could be watching this program live on your computer with a Sling Adapter.
Click here to learn more
Record This Close
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Do you have a light on your Sling adapter?
John Host: red one yes.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): One moment please.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): I am sorry for the issue. I am confident that I can help you with this.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Please try to toggle to the other Hopper on your receiver list.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Select it.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Then select the proper Hopper again.
John Host: Thats not an option. It does say under 0128 that the sling box is attached.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Click on that gain.
John Host: same thing
Alaina (ID: XNJ): One moment.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): It appears that we have tried everything short of resetting the modem and restarting the computer.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): We will need to have you reset the modem and restart the computer. If that does not resolve the issue we will need to escalate this to our engineers.
John Host: OK. Will this chat be saved so someone will know what we have done so far?
Alaina (ID: XNJ): I will note your account with all the issues we have attempted to get this resolved.
John Host: OK Thanks and goodbye. "John"
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Do you have any other questions for me?
John Host: No.
Alaina (ID: XNJ): Thank you for using DISH Chat and have a great day!
Alaina (ID: XNJ) has disconnected.

bweiteka said:
How many joeys are linked to that hopper and what method are you using for ip on it?

That would be my question too. How is your hopper connected to the internet?

I know firefox works for dish online with my 922 and chrome does not. I should think ie would work too. Not sure though because I don't use IE.

Noticed there hasn't been a follow up to your post. Any luck yet? Hard wired to the internet is obviously the best way to go. Let us know if you got the issue resolved.

My sling adapter isn't working either. I am hard wired to ethernet on both hoppers. I have sling connected to one of them. I am seeing the correct hopper recordings so I know I'm looking at the right hopper.

On my iPhone it says incorrect finderID when I try to watch something. On the pc using Firefox it says it is not properly configured. I am using the latest Dish app on my iPhone.

Are there settings that need to be enabled somewhere on the hopper? I just plugged it in and did a hard reset. It has been about an hour since I did this and still no luck.

My connection is 20/3 cable Internet. So I should have enough speed. HD on demand is working great.

Update: I unplugged my sling adapter from the rear USB port and moved it to the front. My sling adapter is working correctly now but I would have preferred that it was plugged into the rear.

Either way I can't believe I never took advantage of this feature on my 722. It's amazing! With the hopper/joey system and the sling adapter dish is really pulling ahead of everyone else technology wise.

Update: I unplugged my sling adapter from the rear USB port and moved it to the front. My sling adapter is working correctly now but I would have preferred that it was plugged into the rear.

Either way I can't believe I never took advantage of this feature on my 722. It's amazing! With the hopper/joey system and the sling adapter dish is really pulling ahead of everyone else technology wise.

I have mine plugged into the back and it's working fine. Weird.

Mine is not working for live TV, but it does stream DVR recordings. Spent an hour on the phone with Dish Tech Support. We tried everything, then he decided to write it up as a previously unknown problem. I told him the problem was that the receiver number shows up wrong. It looks like the "R" number is hard-coded to start "R00" even though Hoppers start "R188." So Sling cannot find authorization for my programming. For some reason, the tech thought that issue was too hard to address.

Last edited:
Mine is not working for live TV, but it does stream DVR recordings. Spent an hour on the phone with Dish Tech Support. We tried everything, then he decided to write it up as a previously unknown problem. I told him the problem was that the receiver number shows up wrong. It looks like the "R" number is hard-coded to start "R00" even though Hoppers start "R188." So Sling cannot find authorization for my programming. For some reason, the tech thought that issue was too hard to address.

Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can submit a technical problem report for this. I appreciate it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)