Can't get the Voom yet, so when?

pete592

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Portland, OR
The installer came to my house and took one look out my window and said that my house doesn't have the clear path to the east that's necessary for people in the Portland, OR area to get the Voom channels. He refused the install and left. Not a bit surprising considering the experience I've had with Dish Network so far, but that's another thread for another time. :mad:

My main concern right now is: How can I stay informed as to when the Voom channels might be available on another satellite for us folks on the west coast? :confused:

With only 11 degrees of elevation it doesn't take much of an obstacle to prevent reception from 61.5. Just keep checking back here for the latest info. I don't expect them to mirror the V* channels at 148 so many of us West coast subscribers will have to wait until Dish consolidates HD at one of the more central locations, probably by the end of this year.

NightRyder

Lots of people getting VOOM on the left coast. Checking LOS yourself is easy, or try to get a competent installer.

rvsixer said:
Lots of people getting VOOM on the left coast. Checking LOS yourself is easy, or try to get a competent installer.

With the terrain in and around Portland it's going to be hit or miss. A small hill or group of trees in the wrong place and you can forget it. While there are West coast subscribers who can see 61.5, there are many that can't, competency of the installer not withstanding.

NightRyder

Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I guess I'll just keep an eye on this sight for any developments.

The installer said maybe 90% of the installs that he and his cohorts are attempting in the Portland area for the 61.5 are not successful. He himself had only one install that worked and it was way out in B.F.E. Amity, Oregon. He also added that the dish practically had to be pointed at the ground for it to work.

Pete, whip out a protractor and shoot an 11 degree angle to the SSE and see what you hit. If you stand due South and look on a clock just below where the 10 would be if 12 is in front of you, that is where 61.5 is in Portland.

pete592 said:
Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I guess I'll just keep an eye on this sight for any developments.

The installer said maybe 90% of the installs that he and his cohorts are attempting in the Portland area for the 61.5 are not successful. He himself had only one install that worked and it was way out in B.F.E. Amity, Oregon. He also added that the dish practically had to be pointed at the ground for it to work.

Makes sense. The flat lands along I-5 from Wilsonville to Salem should be one of the better looks at 61.5 from Northern Oregon.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Makes sense. The flat lands along I-5 from Wilsonville to Salem should be one of the better looks at 61.5 from Northern Oregon.
NightRyder
You got that right, that's why I be Voomin'. ;)

I am so far from being able to see 61.5 here in NW Washington, it isn't funny. At 11 degrees elevation, the neighbors' house a half-mile down the road blocks 61.5 (okay, that's an exaggeration ;) ). But trees and hills that don't block 110/119 most definitely get in the way of 61.5.

End of the year, eh? Well, I'm being patient...

denver 61.5 woes

Worse than having no 61.5 is having it and losing it, like me. You see, I’ve lost the VOOM/61.5 battle, but I hope I’ve not lost the war. The installer came out (3 hours lat), moved the Dish 3-4 times, and announced that there was no spot on the roof that didn’t hit the distant neighbor’s tree. Strange, since this same installer found a spot on 5/7, two weeks ago and the trees didn’t bloom or change; I just lost 61.5 signal.

I guess I’ll call DISH (shudder) or another installer.

Anyone here do Denver installs? :confused: :confused:

NightRyder said:
With the terrain in and around Portland it's going to be hit or miss. A small hill or group of trees in the wrong place and you can forget it. While there are West coast subscribers who can see 61.5, there are many that can't, competency of the installer not withstanding.
NightRyder
According to the original post, the installer simply came and looked out the window and said no way on 61.5. Maybe its just me, but there is no way I would be able to completely survey an entire property from inside for an 11 degree holeshot somewhere outside :rolleyes:.

I guess my point is unless you have a solid wall or mountain obviously completely blocking LOS, you would be surprised the holeshots you can get if you walk around the property with a compass and protractor/level (my own competent VOOM "installer" also said no way to my 15 deg LOS spot I had picked, which in reality cleared my neighbors roof by 3 ft and the mountain range behind by a calculated 300ft).

rvsixer said:
According to the original post, the installer simply came and looked out the window and said no way on 61.5. Maybe its just me, but there is no way I would be able to completely survey an entire property from inside for an 11 degree holeshot somewhere outside :rolleyes:.

I guess my point is unless you have a solid wall or mountain obviously completely blocking LOS, you would be surprised the holeshots you can get if you walk around the property with a compass and protractor/level (my own competent VOOM "installer" also said no way to my 15 deg LOS spot I had picked, which in reality cleared my neighbors roof by 3 ft and the mountain range behind by a calculated 300ft).

Well having lived in this state all of my life and being very familiar with the geography in and around Portland I tend to give the installer the benefit of the doubt. I also believe that his quoted 90% failure rate for 61.5 in Portland is accurate. Now where DarrellP lives is another story, even though it's only 30 miles South of Portland the terrain in entirely different. If the installer gave the same excuse in that area, I would be skeptical.

At 15 degrees I might even be able to see 61.5 and I live in the Cascade foothills, at 11 degrees it's not possible.

NightRyder

Sorry not doubting you NightRyder...having done a bit of flying around Portland I agree there are many spots 61.5 would be impossible. Just that my own personal experience with installers is "no you can't get 61.5 from here", "naw you don't need to ground anything", etc. I am sure there are good ones out there that can make the LOS call instantly and correctly.

rvsixer said:
Sorry not doubting you NightRyder...having done a bit of flying around Portland I agree there are many spots 61.5 would be impossible. Just that my own personal experience with installers is "no you can't get 61.5 from here", "naw you don't need to ground anything", etc. I am sure there are good ones out there that can make the LOS call instantly and correctly.

No problem, and your correct there are many lazy installers out there. I guess I am just disappointed at E* decision not to mirror the V* channels at 148, that and the lack of network HD channels besides CBS, is frustrating. :(

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)