Can't "hop"

sdfntx

Hook 'em, 'Horns!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
S. Texas
I'm encountering this scenario more and more. Not always, but enough to be annoying. Apologies if it has been covered - I did search but didn't find anything.

I have a HWS, SJ and 2 Joeys. Usually the attached TVs are all on and available for live viewing, often of the same channel, as I roam thru the house. Right now I'm watching live tennis on (Tennis Ch.) on 3 TVs, and each shows up as using a separate tuner. But, if I try to "hop" onto another tuner that's viewing the same program, I can't - I just get a black screen. The only way I've gotten back to live viewing is using the Channel Up button (Down might work as well, just tried Up first). The TV Activity screen then showed that Tuners 1-3 are back to viewing the same channel. I've since been able to hop at one Joey onto either the SJ or HWS (or variations thereof), but there's never less than 2 tuners on the same Tennis Ch. And, just now, one of the TVs that was showing tennis just fine has gone into stand-by all on its own! Waking it up, and I'm back to 3 tuners on the Tennis Channel.

What gives?!? Is this how it's supposed to work? I suppose, in the long run & except for encountering the black screens, it's really more annoying than problematic. I'm just remembering all TVs in my early Hopper and HWS days being able to share/view one tuner, if necessary, and this is what seems to happen during PTA, whether it's a PTA channel or another. Right now, no TVs are tuned to PTA channels, so Tuners 4 & 5 are currently shown as Available.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

You are supposed to be able to pause, go to another room, press the red button and "join" the show you were watching on the same tuner. That's called Hopping, the pause is optional. What software are you on, press menu, menu? I would power cycle the Hopper and see if it starts working correctly again.

Thanks for putting that more efficiently than I did! Yes, using red button to see existing shows, but "joining" one has been creating a 2nd instance of that show - multiple tuners on the same program. Should've thought to add a photo to more clearly illustrate. I'm on S503 now, but it was doing it before I got that upgrade.

Today, it's been working as it should - join/hop onto the same tuner without duplicates being created. I did have another instance, however of trying to join/hop and getting a totally black screen. Went back to the show I had been watching (CBS) and it was frozen. Had to channel up/down to restore viewing of CBS. Didn't try to hop again from that TV. Hadn't done a power cycle yet, but will do that now and see how things go.

Thanks for the reply!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts