Can't move external Storage between vip622 receivers

I agree that the three switches and your done is a crappy deal. I can't comprehend why the limit was etablished...it just doesn't make any sense, unless there is some unknown software issue.

But, to add a twist (and some fun) to this discussion, now that we have ethernet access to our home networks, I would love to see the ability to swap recordings between the receivers as an option.

Greetings...

Jumping in to the discussion a bit late but like many others here, I now have a 2nd HD DVR and see the need to share recordings between the two down the road. Our 622 is almost full (main viewing room) and it's too much trouble to swap the new 722 (currently viewed in bedroom).

I haven't messed with the EHD or ethernet stuff yet but the way it sounds, it will cost me $80 to activate both receivers and then I only get 3 times to exchange shows and will still have to spend $150+ for an external USB HD to make this happen ... ? And after strike 3, I'm out???

They've taken this copyright thing a bit too far IMHO but I do understand the issues and the position Dish is in.

Anyone know when (if ever) this capability will be enabled for the ethernet port??? I'd like to eliminate the need for an EHD ... I want to be able to watch whatever/whereever/whenever but I suppose we will forever be bowing to the copyright gods. :(

Thanks for listening!

:)

Greetings...

Jumping in to the discussion a bit late but like many others here, I now have a 2nd HD DVR and see the need to share recordings between the two down the road. Our 622 is almost full (main viewing room) and it's too much trouble to swap the new 722 (currently viewed in bedroom).

I haven't messed with the EHD or ethernet stuff yet but the way it sounds, it will cost me $80 to activate both receivers and then I only get 3 times to exchange shows and will still have to spend $150+ for an external USB HD to make this happen ... ? And after strike 3, I'm out???

They've taken this copyright thing a bit too far IMHO but I do understand the issues and the position Dish is in.

Anyone know when (if ever) this capability will be enabled for the ethernet port??? I'd like to eliminate the need for an EHD ... I want to be able to watch whatever/whereever/whenever but I suppose we will forever be bowing to the copyright gods. :(

Thanks for listening!

:)
As for the cost, the $40 activation fee is a one time fee for the entire account (you pay $40 and all your 622's and 722's will be active. It is not per receiver (though I don't have it so I don't know for sure).

Geoff

As for the cost, the $40 activation fee is a one time fee for the entire account (you pay $40 and all your 622's and 722's will be active. It is not per receiver (though I don't have it so I don't know for sure).

Geoff

This is correct. $40 one time fee per account. They did say that the limitation on switching drives between receivers was temporary, although I don't get why they felt compelled to install that limitation in the first place. Its already encrypted and only works with one account as it is. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I am not following protocol here, but I was wondering if anyone "here" has tried archiving from a vip622 onto a Drobo. If so, what size drive(s) are inside? Thank you.

Sorry if I am not following protocol here, but I was wondering if anyone "here" has tried archiving from a vip622 onto a Drobo. If so, what size drive(s) are inside? Thank you.
:welcome
EHD's are Linux formatted with encrypted files. I don't believe a Drobo would work, not knowing much about them.

I'm wondering if receiver information is stored on the drive for ID purposes.

If one had two identical drives; what happens if you dd from one drive to the other block for block and connect the newly mirrored drive to the 2nd DVR?

This isn't anywhere near convenient; but if I get a couple of enclosures I might be up for trying it.

Cheers,

:welcome
EHD's are Linux formatted with encrypted files. I don't believe a Drobo would work, not knowing much about them.

So if I add an EHD to my receiver, does the receiver format it to a Linux readable file format (if so, do you know which one)? Does anyone here run Linux on one of their computers? Could you copy the content to a Linux based OS then over to another EHD formatted drive to move the content around?

Another question I have is, can I have multiple EHD's that I plug into one receiver if I run out of room on the first drive? Does it use the 3 in/out rule to plug two different EHD into the *same* receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)