Can't people read anymore?

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
I just saw this 510 on Ebay. The second sentence says plain as day that this machine has a big money balance on it. The bidding is already up to $117.54 and the auction still has over 20 minutes left!

People really need to start reading these Ebay auctions for sat. equipment.

the best part is the poor sucker who bought it will be on here soon asking if they can avoid paying the fees to activate it on their account.... :(
Jon

There was a 522 with over $1,500 owed against it selling for around $139 plus shipping. Another one with over $500 in which the bids were up over $100.

The 501 isn't a reciever that has a card built in so would need to buy a smart card as well. You are bidding on a Dish Network 501 PVR. It is in great working condition and has a big money balance due on it. Comes with remote control, RCA and coax wires, and the little antenna. There was a sticker pealed off the top that left sticky stuff on the top. There is No card included. Has the JTAG port as well.

The 501 isn't a reciever that has a card built in so would need to buy a smart card as well.

You are bidding on a Dish Network 501 PVR. It is in great working condition and has a big money balance due on it. Comes with remote control, RCA and coax wires, and the little antenna. There was a sticker pealed off the top that left sticky stuff on the top. There is No card included. Has the JTAG port as well.

Ahhhhh.... Now that clears up the picture. You know, DishNetwork should tag a reciever with some little microchip and put it up for auction - stating clearly that it has a big balance on it, and then track down the hackers. Or, better yet, have the microchip capable of doing an electromagnetic pulse at a specific time - frying all the hackers electronic equipment within thirty feet. :D

:no I'm such a geek.

I saw all these recievers the other day, and couldn't figure out why people were bidding on them. They must not read or something.

the funny thing is that dish is getting ready to switch to their new encyption steam. most of the people spending the money for hacking, will soon be out of luck.

I imagine most of the people bidding don't understand the significance of a box with a balance on it. They probably figure, "Well, that was someone else. Why would Dish charge me?" If I hadn't been frequenting these forums for a while, I might think the same thing. :no

All Dish Network would have to do is put them up for sale themselves and get the shipping address and account information of the person buying that hardware.

And that would prove what? That someone bought a satellite receiver on ebay? I didn't know there was a law that required you to activate a receiver bought off ebay within a certain amount of time before you're hauled to jail.

I have sold broken receivers before for parts, and gotten a surprising amount of money for them. One mans trash is anothers treasure.

Well with what I said that is in regards to certain information in the auction in regards to hacking and especially to receivers that belongs to them that they have leased but yes you are right in that some people buy these receivers for parts. For those that pay more than what they are worth with balances owed it makes you wonder. Dish probably has done nothing about this so far because they know that people can buy these for parts or say that they dont know what a jtag is. I read where they were selling cards and certain things online and prosecuting those that bought the items a while back.

Whats a JTAG? :p

No really I gotcha. As I posted in another thread, if dish is smart, they'll worry more about making their next batch of receivers more secure (the mpeg4 ones). That and they could goto a lease only system I suppose. But thats more like cable isnt it hehehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)