Cant record with DVB World

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
When I try to record with the DVB World USB receiver, the recordings come up like a scrambeled channel would. I get sound, but the video is jumbled. Anyone else able to record with this? I am using the nextorm software, becuse on the desktop, I cannot get anything else to work with the box.

When I try to record with the DVB World USB receiver, the recordings come up like a scrambeled channel would. I get sound, but the video is jumbled. Anyone else able to record with this? I am using the nextorm software, becuse on the desktop, I cannot get anything else to work with the box.

What are you playing them back with?

Windows media player. I recorded something tonight and it plays fine, but the KSU KU football game that FSN did was bad.

I am seriously wondering why I cannot get DVBDream or Progdvb to work either on this machine.

On DVBDream, I get a missing msvcr71.dll error, and ProgDVB wont ever recognize the DVB World box.

Windows media player. I recorded something tonight and it plays fine, but the KSU KU football game that FSN did was bad.

I am seriously wondering why I cannot get DVBDream or Progdvb to work either on this machine.

On DVBDream, I get a missing msvcr71.dll error, and ProgDVB wont ever recognize the DVB World box.

http://www.google.com/search?q=msvc...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Also try to play them with VLC and see what happens:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

using the nextorm

It sounds to me like it was a 4:2:2 picture. Does the Nextorm software decode 4:2:2? If not, that's probably what went wrong and you need to get a software that will decode 4:2:2. If the Nextorm will decode 4:2:2, you can ignore this reply, because I don't have a clue?

Al

It sounds to me like it was a 4:2:2 picture. Does the Nextorm software decode 4:2:2? If not, that's probably what went wrong and you need to get a software that will decode 4:2:2. If the Nextorm will decode 4:2:2, you can ignore this reply, because I don't have a clue?

Al

My thoughts exactly... let's see if the OP can play them in VLC.

Could be a codec thing? Maybe Windows Media Player doesn't have the right codec installed?

The nextorm software played it just fine, but the recording was crap.

It was a FSN game, so I might have been a 4:2:2 game.

The nextorm software played it just fine, but the recording was crap.

It was a FSN game, so I might have been a 4:2:2 game.

Yep... no codec available to media player to play it. I bet if you viewed it with VLC it would have came right up.

One question on recording, on most softwares, does it use less resources when you are recording if you minimize the program? Like if I catch a HD feed and want to record it, should I minimize the program, so it is not having to show the video while writing to disk?

In the nextorm, I cannot find a setting to record something to a stream file. All I see is just the record button. Also, is there a way to setup recording and not have to have the Nextorm software open? I would rather use something like DVBDream, but I cannot seem to get it to work with the desktop. Works fine on the laptop.

In theory, yes, minimizing may help as it uses fewer refreshes to the screen so less ram is used. In actuallity, I'm not positive about that since you are going through Direct X or Open GL, which may be rendering to a buffer regardless of whether or not it's actually on screen.

One thing I will say, if you have Windows Task Manager up, especially if it's in the CPU Usage Screen with the constantly changing graph, it's a really good idea to minimize that since that does eat more ram if it's not minimized. Also, it's a good idea to shut down as many other apps as possible. I usually keep one IE window open to view forums here, one windows folder open that shows where I'm recording to, and close all other apps except the recording program.

I use Internet Explorer since I think it uses the same ram chunk allocated to windows explorer... if you use another app for browsing, like foxfire or mozilla, closing those alternatives down may be a good idea when recording since they use another, seperate chunk of ram, which is using ram that you could be allocating to the recording program. Also, try to stay offline as much as possible. I mainly use my wife's computer when she's not there to surf while recording.

Of course, I'm only on a 1.5 ghz machine with 512 mb of ram at home, and am using ati's recording program, recording to vcd quality, so you might be able to get away with having more open if you have a faster machine, but maybe not if you are recording at dvd quality or higher... True DVD quality maxes my machine out, and burns a lot of hdd space, so I just use vcd quality most of the time.

If it gets to be too much of a problem, try maximizing your computer's power by shutting down unneeded stuff... There's some list somewhere that came out a couple years ago that shows how to really maximize your computer by shutting off a lot of resources that you don't need. I think it was some website from some dude that went by the name blackviper.

edit:
Googled it... Here you go...
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=black+viper+services+xp

Really good and useful info there. Be careful when shutting off services that you aren't absolutely positive if you need or not since it could kill some programs and stuff if you aren't careful with what you are doing.

Last edited:
One question on recording, on most softwares, does it use less resources when you are recording if you minimize the program? Like if I catch a HD feed and want to record it, should I minimize the program, so it is not having to show the video while writing to disk?

In the nextorm, I cannot find a setting to record something to a stream file. All I see is just the record button. Also, is there a way to setup recording and not have to have the Nextorm software open? I would rather use something like DVBDream, but I cannot seem to get it to work with the desktop. Works fine on the laptop.

I'd work on the DVBDream deal. If you're missing a DLL, Google it. Download it. And put it in the DVBDream folder and see what happens.

DVBDream has a renderless mode for recording.

Usually using a software package that comes with a DVB you'll be really limited on the options you have. You can't complain about the options in DVBDream ;) or the price of DVBDream for that matter!

I tried the msvcr file in the DVBDream folder, it got rid of the error, but it still doesn't recognize the USB DVB box is there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)