Can't select which tuner to record to?!

tdogg72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
The Problem:
When I browse thru the guide, and I find something I want to record, I select the show and it pops up the timer/events screen. I see NO options whatsoever to choose which tuner I want the show to be recorded on. What is up with that? Can I not choose which tuner I want??
Under the record plus menu item, I have it enabled to record to TV2 by default.
The problem is that, sometimes there are two shows at the same time that I will want to record. Let's say I am not going to be home to watch either of them.

The Question:
So, when I am in the guide, and I set up a timer for the one show which lets say starts at 5pm on Oct. 10th. Then I go to the other show that I want to record that also starts at 5pm on Oct. 10th... and I try and set a timer to record this as well. But of course I get the conflict screen which makes me choose which show I want to record. It gives me NO option to record to TV1, so that there is no conflict. So how am I suppose to do this? :confused:

Additional Info:
I have configured my home setup so that I can watch Live TV thru a TV that is connected to my DVR 522 which is in DUAL mode. I have a 322 that has the TV2 output feeding the Ant. In on my DVR 522. Check my sig for a diagram to better understand this. I set it up this way so I could specificaly be able to record multiple programs at the same time, and watch a diff. show. But so far I am finding that that was all for nothing, since this stupid DVR 522 won't let me choose which TV i want to record to. (and no, a "default record TV" does not solve this problem)

That is really weird. when i was running dual mode.. i set R+ to tuner 2. and I would set concurrent things all the time and only if i set a third would it come to the conflict screen. is your tv 2 out working properly (ie is it producing a picture). Im going to assume you have rebooted. sounds like your 522 might need an RMA. or E* messed it up with 2.05. either way something isnt working right.

ShadowEKU said:
That is really weird. when i was running dual mode.. i set R+ to tuner 2. and I would set concurrent things all the time and only if i set a third would it come to the conflict screen. is your tv 2 out working properly (ie is it producing a picture). Im going to assume you have rebooted. sounds like your 522 might need an RMA. or E* messed it up with 2.05. either way something isnt working right.

Yesm the TV 2 works fine. I have the TV2 feeding the 322 ant/in, so I can access the DVR from a TV upstairs that is on the 322.

I have had this problem for some time now, and am sure I have rebooted.

What is an RMA?

So basicaly what you are saying is that if I have a show set to record to TV2, and I want to record another show at that same time... it should automaticaly set this 2nd program to record to TV1, since TV2 wont be available. Is that right?

I feel your pain...here might be a fix?

I've had this happen to me on occasion as well. It seems that it occured on exactly how I selected the show to be recorded. I think if I hit the "record" button on the remote on a show in the future it would do that but if I hit select it would work, or vice versa.

I haven't noticed that for quite some time though. I would also recommend setting all of your timers on TV1, I think I might have been setting the timer on my TV2, thus causing the conflict.

Maybe I'm just rambling...

tdogg72 said:
Yesm the TV 2 works fine. I have the TV2 feeding the 322 ant/in, so I can access the DVR from a TV upstairs that is on the 322.

I have had this problem for some time now, and am sure I have rebooted.

What is an RMA?

So basicaly what you are saying is that if I have a show set to record to TV2, and I want to record another show at that same time... it should automaticaly set this 2nd program to record to TV1, since TV2 wont be available. Is that right?

when i operated in dual mode it would automaticaly switch to tv 1. Not sure why yours isnt. I am guessing you may have to call dish and get an rma

RMA= Return Merchandise Autorization (AFAIK)

its a last resort... but it sounds like a software issue or the 522 asimilated some bad code somewhere..

I think I might have run into your problem-but then again I get confused easily :cool:

Here's what I found-
522 receiver Record Plus is set to record to TV2

If at TV1 and I'm setting up a timer it works properly-sends it to TV2 but if it's busy will send to TV1

But I found out that if I'm setting the timer from TV2 and there is already a scheduled timer for TV2 it will not automatically send to TV1 like I thought it would and doesn't give you that option -just brings up the conflict dialog and you have to delete one.
The only way I could set another timer to go to TV1 from TV2 was to change Record Plus to TV1 - or walk over to TV1 and set the timer. Kind of a pain

I kind of have a setup similar to what your doing- I have one 522 and one 322
The 522 goes to master bedroom (TV1) and den (TV2)
The 322 goes to kids room(tv1)and aux input on den tv (TV2)
So two receivers-four outputs-3 tv's.
I did this for the same reason you did. So our main big den TV would always have a livetv input-most of the recordings are set from TV1

When I first ran across this problem I thought it was pretty stupid and showed a lack of thought in the design. But after some thought it makes some sense. This keeps the primary record tv set in record plus from being able to override the other tvs viewing-the primary record tv has no ability to route the signal-the non primary record tv has all the power.
HUH? did that make any sense
:(
Even so it would be nice to have the option to send it to the other tv without either changing record plus or going to the other tv to set the recording.

So I guess what it boils down to is it matters which TV you're setting the timer from..at least from my experience it does
Set conflicting timers from the TV that is NOT the primary record TV no problem.... it works.
Set conflicting timers FROM the primary record TV and I get the same thing you describe.

Hope I didn't confuse the matter even more-after a couple of lines of tv1 goes here and I'm at tv2 blah blah blah it gets pretty confusing

:D

Stacked Dish 6000s?

Is this for real?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts