Can't watch dvr recordings between two hoppers

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
I previously had a second hopper (we'll call it hopper 2) in an office that was too far from my front door and needed it's own satellite dish and I could watch it's recordings with my HWS and joey's here in the house through our LAN. Recently that hopper 2's hard drive went bad and we had to get a replacement hopper. We decided to have it moved down to the house and needed to have an installer come out to put in a duo node and change wiring (also upgrade the old coax from the node to the main tv as it was 20 year old 1 ghz rated from the Primestar days that the original hopper installer didn't mess with and also relocate the dish closer to the house because the coax on the dish was "kinda brittle"...) I have better picture now, but the problem we are having now is that while the hoppers see each other under the "whole house" menu, only my HWS sees hopper 2's DVR recordings at all, on hopper 2 if i click the drop down menu to select the HWS says "sharing will be available soon" or something like that. But, if i try to watch one of the recordings on the HWS from hopper 2, i get an "error 00" saying there's a problem with what it's trying to do.

I went outside and looked at all the wiring to make sure there were no Isolators (after doing research on here and learning about them) and found out that the HWS is wired directly off of the node and then another wire goes to a Tap that goes to our Joey and Hopper 2.

We are so confused as to why we cannot watch the recordings between the hoppers now when we could at least watch the recordings from hopper 2 on the HWS through the LAN when they weren't on the same dish before. I even called Dish and they tried telling me that a HWS can view the dvr listing from another hopper but not play them and that a regular hopper can't even view the dvr listings from another hopper period. Funny how that the internet tells a different story on that one!

So, what do you all suggest? Please help! Thanks!

Reboot both hoppers. Also, a two Hoppers can't run off a Tap. I'm guessing Hopper two us actually connected to the second host port on the duo node.

Can you try accessing the dvr after rebooting and get the exact verbiage you see or take a picture?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Both hoppers aren't on the tap together. They are on different host ports of the duo node, but "hopper 2" is on a tap with a joey. I wouldn't have used a tap, but would have ran another coax run, but I didn't realize that's how the installer did it until the day after he did it!
Alright, I rebooted both hoppers and then tried accessing the dvr of "hopper 2" from the HWS and when i hit "start over on a recording I got; "A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the Error Code: 00." and then gives the two choices for "DVR" and " Live TV".

When I try to access dvr recordings of the HWS from "hopper 2", i get error 1222 and it says "Sharing content between hoppers is coming soon".

I just can't understand why I was able to watch the recordings of the old "hopper 2" from the HWS over the LAN when they did Not share the coax connection ( different dishes, same account), but now when they are on the same coax connection, then it doesn't seem to want to work, even though the hopper receiver box is a different one too because the old ones hard drive failed.

Hopefullly that new information will help more fully! Thanks!!

What software is on your hoppers?

The tap is no problem.

Have you tried multiple dvr events? Usually I've seen 00 come up if there is an issue with a specific recording.

Yea. With the "coming soon" message, that is from hoppers original software when it comes to the playback. I'm guessing it hadn't downloaded the software yet. Has it been 3 days since installation?

HWS Version: S506
Hopper Version: S057
I've tried several different dvr events, they all say the same thing, I never once had a problem viewing anything on either DVR through the HWS when i was on the LAN, it's just that now when they are together on the same node, it isn't wanting to work!?

oh jeez... I guess i assumed (my first mistake) that since it was new, it would be up to date or at least recent enough with the software to do what i'm used to. Guess not... Alright guys, thanks alot! I'll give it a few days to settle in and if it doesn't straighten up/update I'll check back in. I appreciate the fast help. As always, great site/forum! I love the info that i have learned on here!!!

Put the Hopper into standby. No tuners in use and no recordings. That should trigger the update on its own.

I would also run a check switch test before putting it into standby, to confirm you have all the correct signal etc.

That's what I was thinking. But if I remember correctly, you can't force an update on the hopper, but hell, it's worth a shot.

Thought I'd give you all an update on the situation. Over the coarse of a week or so, the new hopper never updated past the S057? software version which it came with even though it said the date it updated was the date of install. After between 1-2 weeks, then it decided to go to a rebooting loop. It would turn on for 3-5 minutes and then would reboot like it was unplugged. Had to call and request another replacement hopper which left the tech on the phone scratching her head. We got the second replacement hopper and I installed it watching it the whole time to watch it update. While it was doing that, I think I know where the other one initially messed up. I remember that during the updating of the 1st replacement one, that the tech that was here upgrading the wiring that wasn't upgraded initially 1 1/2 years ago was outside messing with the wires at the time and probably unhooked it during the update and so it messed it up and it never updated and so therefore, it was totally his fault that the hopper didn't work right from day one! I watched the second replacement one update and reboot, etc. and it works perfectly. both hoppers can see each others recordings and can play them, etc. just like they should be able to, but yet again, it was the second hopper that my wife lost recordings on that she hadn't watched. At least this time, we got a small credit on our bill for loss of service. Thank you everyone for your quick help when I first posted this on here. This is a great site!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yes, it is a great site. I've been a member for over 11 years now. I don't think I would of been with DISH this long if I didn't have access to the information here to help me along the way. I also find out about all kinds of DISH promos for 1/2 premiums and $$ off a month if you call and ask . I am also a pub member and help support this site with my yearly contribution. It's worth the money. Right now I have $20.00 a month from DISH for 6 months and 1/2 HBO for only $9.50 a month for 6 months. I will be calling back in November to get another promotion when the $$ off promo ends.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts