Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
This morning I got in the car to take my son to school and the key broke in half while inside of the ignition. I've had no luck getting it out with tweezers, so I broke down and called AAA. They cover up to $50 in locksmith services.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I'm curious to know how big of a check I'll be writing when the locksmith shows up...

That's reassuring....i can deal with that.

sorry to hear that sky. i've seen locksmiths charge up to $100 for this service. it's good you have AAA

$125 for 5 minutes of work. Ouch! At least its out, though.

What are these keys made of nowadays- recycled pop cans? Is breaking a key common? I've never broken one and I can't say I've even heard of someone breaking one....until now.

I have a guy that lives across the street that is a locksmith so if this ever happens I'm hoping I can walk across the street and get the neighbor discount. I'm not sure it he would charge me or not.

I have a guy that lives across the street that is a locksmith so if this ever happens I'm hoping I can walk across the street and get the neighbor discount. I'm not sure it he would charge me or not.

I wouldn't charge my neighbor for a FIVE minute job.....I gotta stop thinking about this....:cool:

Be thankful it wasn't one of those $300 electronic keys.

Anyway, this problem may fade away, as automakers are supposed to be moving to electronic key fobs.

Probably happen right after they (don't) complete the shift over to 42 volt electrical systems. :rolleyes:

You mean follow some military specs ? But safety rules does not allow the switch. Will see what standard will be accepted for electromobiles en mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)