Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I know, the topic's been beaten to death. But let's see what's good on the market today. Options change.

I've always used a laptop with StreetAtlas and a GPS antenna when traveling. This gets a nice large (but reflective) screen, and has other uses. Since the laptop seems to have low volume, I have a dongle to transmit thru the radio. However, all this means I have to remember to bring the laptop, etc, and that's a lot to lug. And it takes a while to boot up, being cursed by MS.

So I'm rethinking the matter. I did not, and would not, get an in-dash navigation system. They generally cost around $1800, 3-10 times as much as the portable units, and may become obsolete.

So what am I/should I be looking for?

- I'm not too concerned about the cost, I'll have it many years and the boss might chip in. Well, better keep it under $500 or so.
- Must be updatable, with reasonable expectation that such updates will be available for at least the next 5-10 years.
- Screen size must be fairly large. Is 4.3" really enough?
- Is WQVGA really enough resolution?
- Must come with own GPS antenna. No such antenna in my car to plug into.
- Accuracy is important, especially down to minor streets level in the northern VA/DC/MD area.
- Canadian coverage is of some interest, but not major. Coverage in Mexico is of no interest.
- Is a live traffic service of any real value? I find that the Sirius traffic info is not current & of little use.
- Voice directions desired, voice commands I think I can live without.

I plan to look at Magellan, Garmin, TomTom- should I be considering all these? Any others? Mostly concerned about updates being available for many years into the future.

What do you folks think of the Navigon® GPS Systems 7100?

I guess I should add that I'd prefer it to allow not just point A to point B routing, but A to B to C to D. This information seems hard to come by.

I'm beginning to lean toward a Magellan system, just for the security that they'll be around a while and seem to support updates well.

I guess I should add that I'd prefer it to allow not just point A to point B routing, but A to B to C to D. This information seems hard to come by.

I'm beginning to lean toward a Magellan system, just for the security that they'll be around a while and seem to support updates well.

What is wrong with a MAP they are cheep and while they don't have any bells or whistles they work just fine.
Assuming that you don't have a wife like mine who misses a right hand turn and you go 50 miles in the WRONG direction

I have a collection of maps in each of my vehicles. And replace them every few years. And was about to buy another set for this vehicle, and stopped. In practice, I'd have to select the correct map to use. Find the page. Look over alternate routes. Likely while driving in heavy traffic (Yeah, shoot me).

Or I can look at a display that shows exactly where I'm at. I can at a touch zoom out and see alternate routes. And it will suggest alternate routes, using traffic reports. And it covers the whole country, and Canada (which I like to visit).

Or on the road, have a sudden urge for a "haircut" - I can see the next exits and what's there that might have "haircut" facilities. (Thank you, Car Talk) Or select from restaurants rather than stop at the first acceptable one. I still remember eating some slop at a small chain hot dog/burger place, then driving on to discover if I'd gone a couple blocks more, I could've eaten at Panera Bread.

Everything can be found quickly, and while taking up less space than maps, and provide more information than the maps.

I bought the Magellan 4350 thru a AAA offer. Looks like a real winner. Garmin was too expensive and I read too much about the lesser accuracy using Tom Tom (they use a different map source than Magellan & Garmin).

I have a collection of maps in each of my vehicles. And replace them every few years. And was about to buy another set for this vehicle, and stopped. In practice, I'd have to select the correct map to use. Find the page. Look over alternate routes. Likely while driving in heavy traffic (Yeah, shoot me).

Or I can look at a display that shows exactly where I'm at. I can at a touch zoom out and see alternate routes. And it will suggest alternate routes, using traffic reports. And it covers the whole country, and Canada (which I like to visit).

Or on the road, have a sudden urge for a "haircut" - I can see the next exits and what's there that might have "haircut" facilities. (Thank you, Car Talk) Or select from restaurants rather than stop at the first acceptable one. I still remember eating some slop at a small chain hot dog/burger place, then driving on to discover if I'd gone a couple blocks more, I could've eaten at Panera Bread.

Everything can be found quickly, and while taking up less space than maps, and provide more information than the maps.

I bought the Magellan 4350 thru a AAA offer. Looks like a real winner. Garmin was too expensive and I read too much about the lesser accuracy using Tom Tom (they use a different map source than Magellan & Garmin).

I bought the 4350 and sent it back. It seemed to flake out during turns at low speeds. It would get confused and the map would spin around and around until it figured out wich way it was heading. It also lacked some features I need/like. It looked good, and picked up the Sats quick. I replace it with the TomTom 930. I'm liking it a lot better than the Magellan. Good luck. I hope your experiance with it goes better than mine.:)

Do not, I repeat, do not get a Magellan. To understand why, take a look at a map of Phoenix. I was wanting to go from Cave Creek Rd south of the 101 fwy to Prescott Valley. Easy directions are to go north to 101 and west to 17 north. However, the Magellan suggested I go EAST on 101 to 51 south to 10 west to 17 north. All in morning traffic of course. I knew the better route so when I got on 101 going west, the Magellan recalculated and shaved an hour off the arrival time. I can only imagine if someone didn't know where they were going already would have handled it. That extra hour going into downtown Phoenix during rush hour would have been real garbage.

Do get a Garmin. Garmin units are what are installed in many small airplanes as part of flight instrumentation to aid in navigation.

Post 4- I already bought it. Magellan and Garmin use the same source for maps. Tom Tom uses a different, reputedly less extensive/accurate, source.

But you're right. Mine gives some odd directions sometimes- it seems to like to tell me to take the exit, drive all the way thru it, and reenter the hwy. I figure I must have some "local road" preference set wrong. And it seems to regularly think I'm on a road paralleling I-66, when I'm on 66.

I just couldn't see paying the extra freight for the Garmin, even though it appeared to be better.

I'm beginning to think I might end up with maps anyway.

I have 30 days to decide to keep it or not. Thanks to all for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)