Card Swop

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I have received cards for my three receivers, changed cards on two of them, worked like a dream and back up in a couple of minutes. The third receiver is a 311 without card, put the new card in there and get message smart card incorrectly inserted. Called Dish and they told me to wait until I see a nag message that card is about to expire and try again. That was a couple of weeks ago and receiver has not shown message yet, tried card again and same thing smart card incorrectly inserted. Anyone else had a problem like this?

Is the card somewhat difficult to insert?

If not, the faceplate and the card slot may be misaligned.

On my 301 the card protrudes 3/4" to 1" behind the door, don't know about the 311.

OK, so your internal card still connected to CPU, new one is out of service; you'll need to open a cover and check how the new card sliding in special slot on mainboard,not just thru faceplate.
Sometimes it happen.

I don't know if this is the same problem you are having, but I've read a couple of posts where they were getting error code 19. The problem turned out to be the gold connector on the card was covered by a piece of tape that was used to stick the card to the mailing paper.

Just looked at the card, no tape or anything visible. Now I have a message that the card has expired, tried the new card, again got message card is incorrectly inserted, however, I tried a yellow card and the receiver recognized it as a card and told me it was the wrong card so it seems to me the card slot is working and my guess is the new card is defective. Will call Dish tomorrow.

Oh, well - that's next step.
BTW, when you insert new purple card and get the message, remove it and wait a little - you should see System Info screen and some info about the card - DNASP, Sxxxx, Rev.
Check it.

Rub the contacts on the back of the smart card with a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Then wipe off any eraser dust and try sticking it back in the receiver again. :)

Tried the eraser, no dice. Called Dish, after some tests they decided the problem is the smart card and are sending me a new one.

Thanks for your help.

The receiver was completely frozen with the Smartcard incorrectly inserted message, nothing else happened and the receiver did not respond at all to the remote