Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got word that Dish Network Vice Chairman Carl Vogel is stepping down.

Also just got the following statement from Dish Network on the news.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that this afternoon we filed an 8-k stating that Carl Vogel is relinquishing his position as Vice Chairman of DISH Network and its subsidiaries. He is also resigning from the Board of Directors of EchoStar Corporation and from his position as Senior Advisor of EchoStar and its subsidiaries. R. Stanton Dodge, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of DISH Network and EchoStar, was appointed to fill the vacancy on the EchoStar Board of Directors created by Carl’s departure. Carl will remain as a Senior Advisor to DISH Network and as a member of its Board of Directors.

In an email to employees, Charlie Ergen stated “Over the years, Carl has proven invaluable to the growth and success of DISH Network and EchoStar, and it has been a privilege to work with him in various leadership roles within both organizations. I am grateful for the years of excellent service that Carl has contributed, and the role he played in the launch and development of DISH Network. I know you will join me in thanking him and wishing him the very best in his future endeavors.”

IMO, he myy be the scapegoat for three straight quarters of subscriber losses...soon to be four since the 1st Quarter ends today. Could this be the start of house-cleaning at EchoStar/Dish Network? We shall see...

Sounds like he's trying to retire. Note that while he left Echostar, he's still on the DISH Network Board of Directors.

Note also that Vogel abdicated the presidency of DISH Network a little over a year ago. My guess is that he was hired to facilitate the separation of DISH and SATS and that's done now.

Vogel used to work for companies associated with Liberty Media (DIRECTV majority owner) and is also on the Shaw Communications Board of Directors.

Sounds like he's trying to retire. Note that while he left Echostar, he's still on the DISH Network Board of Directors.

Note also that Vogel abdicated the presidency of DISH Network a little over a year ago. My guess is that he was hired to facilitate the separation of DISH and SATS and that's done now.

Vogel used to work for companies associated with Liberty Media (DIRECTV majority owner) and is also on the Shaw Communications Board of Directors.

Read all the words, not just some of them....."He is also resigning from the Board of Directors of EchoStar Corporation and from his position as Senior Advisor of EchoStar and its subsidiaries."

BINGO! Not a catastrophe.

And Orlando, I suggest you carefully read the posts & you'll understand what he's saying. Vogel was hired to do a job. Did it. Moving on, but keeping a toe in the water.

The real problem was that Ergan was away from the day to day at Dish Network during the Dish/Echostar split, and it was Vogel who was running day to day. He's not a scapegoat. Considering the poor quarters under his watch, the resignation seems more a dismissal, but still allowed the dignity of some connection to the company.

Now, Ergan is back where he should be, running Dish. I think we will see better quarters after the next precisely because Charlie really does know what he is doing, he just wasn't in driver's seat where he had been during the good years at Dish. The 922 clearly represents Ergan's belief that the next big thing people want is their TV content to be mobile, just like he was ahead on the DVR's. We shall see.

Multichannel News

Vogel has been scaling back his responsibilities at Dish ever since his teenage son Luke was paralyzed in a skiing accident in December 2007. In February 2008, Vogel, resigned as Dish Network president, in part to spend more time with his family.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts