cascading mulitswitch question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TecNOfile

Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
KCMO
If you are cascading a 2nd multiswitch and on the 2nd one you end up with unused outputs do you need to terminate them?? The first multiswitch put in by the installer has a terminator on the unused OTA input and I also wont be using the OTA input on the 2nd cascaded MS. So do I need to terminate the 2nd unused OTA input and the unused 2nd MS reciever outputs??? Thanks..

The correct way to put a 2nd multi switch in is to use 2 power passing splitters. One for 13v and one for 18v. The only reason to terminate is for OTA but it is a good idea to anyway to keep moisture out.

tate,

cascading miltiswitches get jumped from one to another. high frequency power passing splitters???? dont know what you were thinking there. you cant use splitters anywhere in a directv system.

please explain.

Yes you can use splitters to cascade two 3x4 multiswitches. Heck, you can do a whole lot more with 4 way dc pass splitters, but it gets more complicated. To save a long explanation, see the attached diagram.

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    750.1 KB · Views: 160
TecNOfile said:
So do I need to terminate the 2nd unused OTA input and the unused 2nd MS reciever outputs??? Thanks..

Other than to cover the input from dirt or moisture (if an issue where it's located at) it's not really necessary. ;)

dragon002 said:
ps i cant open the images.

I sent the diagram as a gif and a jpeg instead of a bitmap. Hopefully you can view them this time.

Attachments

• diagram.GIF
    diagram.GIF
    3.8 KB · Views: 162
  • diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 166
Yes the diagram is the correct way to put them together. This is how you would do it if you were installing a large headend system. If a job gets a QC with 2 switches jumped together they will fail you on it. What the splitters do is take the 13v and 18v and split them before they go into the switch this way both switches can carry the correct signal.

P.S. Great diagram kdarcangelis :D

tate,

if i were building a large head end i personally use the spaun cascading system. there are no splitters involved in that system and they are intended to be jumped from one to the other.

WWW.spaun.com

Last edited:
Thats fine if you were to use the spaun, but for me the splitter method is easier to keep up with were I am going with my wire and will also free up more outputs on the switches in the long run, and will save money.

The Tate said:
Thats fine if you were to use the spaun, but for me the splitter method is easier to keep up with were I am going with my wire and will also free up more outputs on the switches in the long run, and will save money.

your way costs less too!!

dishrich said:
Other than to cover the input from dirt or moisture (if an issue where it's located at) it's not really necessary. ;)

Thanks, thats what I was wanting to know! And thanks to everyone else for the other possible ideas as well.

I attached pics of what I was looking at.. the first pic is what was existing from when the original installer finished, the second pic is the way I have it connected now. It all seems to be working fine. What I did was add a 2nd R15 DVR where I had a D11 before so I needed one more satellite input for it obviously. Just wasnt sure about the leftover receiver outs on the 2nd multiswitch.

Attachments

• before.gif
    before.gif
    54.2 KB · Views: 125
  • after.gif
    after.gif
    65.8 KB · Views: 135
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts