Cast from Edge to Hopper?

mopar_mudder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Wisconsin
I can't seem to find a straight answer if it is possible to use the cast function in the Edge browser to send video directly to the Hopper or Joey to view on your TV. I know when I try it the Hopper or Joey's don't show up in the list. But I can steam video and music stored on the PC with the Hopper and Joey.

Actually today on my google cast 4K tv I just bought last week, I was on my phone and I hit the cast image to make it play on my tv. I was on YouTube on my phone and instead of selecting the cast tv icon I selected "family room" and viola, the YouTube was playing on my hopper 3 on my the screen and the sound was coming through my a/v receiver.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

When I was through casting on my phone I ended it and the hopper refresh image came up and I was back watching my hopper. Normally you have to change inputs to see the google cast input. I will check this weekend and see if this will work for Google casting other sites other than you tube. Can't check now because I'm at work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a Vizio Smartcast TV which is Vizio's name for Google cast or whatever Google calls it now. I am able to cast from Google Chrome to the the tv or from the Vizio app on my phone. I have found that when I am on Youtube and tell it to cast to the tv, it switches to that automatically. I also just cast a web page from the National Weather Service to the tv from Chrome. It swiched on its own. However, when I close the page, I have to use the remote to change the input back to DISH so I can watch the H3.

I think the switching happens automatically when you cast, but in my case I have to manually go back to the sat input. My Chrome browser which I only use for casting has a button that I got as an extension that allows me to cast any web page. It's a simple click. I believe that that button was made redundant in a Chrome update a few months ago. I still have it where I put it on the tool bar and it works, but I do not find it in my extensions list so I do not know what the name of it is. Also, if I ever uninstall Chrome or reload the OS on my laptop, I don't know if I can get that function back as I do not know any other way to cast to the tv unless the web page has cast function built in.

I do not think you can do cast with Edge or any other browser except Chrome. That's the only reason I installed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts