Cast Iron cooking

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have acquired some cast iron cookware lately and decided to learn about using and caring for cast iron. My Mother-in-law passed away and left a beautiful 100 year old cast iron skillet, Chicago Foundry circa 1917-1934. I had only one cast iron pan before, a BSR from 1980 (Birmingham Stove & Range) I stripped and re-seasoned that pan and it's a real gem. I decided to get a couple more pieces and replace some of my Calphalon Commercial Aluminum cookware. Smithey Ironware has some fine looking Carbon Steel pieces and I picked up their new round roaster and a cast iron 10" Chef Skillet. The first cook in my Mother-in-laws old pan was Southern Fried Chicken :hungry

My dad used to have one of his mom's old cast iron skillets. When I was growing up he used to always make us fried potatoes in it. :hungry

Dad passed away then a few years later I had to sell their home when mom had to go into nursing home care. I looked everywhere for that pan as I wanted to keep it and use it at my home but, alas, it was nowhere to be found. :(

Old friend from back in grade school had a hunting cabin his grandma left him. We hunted from that cabin for over twenty years. No plumbing or electric just wood stoves for cooking and heating. There was a 12" cast iron pan we used all that time and it was perfect. I loved that pan. When my buddy sold the place I thought about running up there and snagging that pan but his ex-wife beat me to it. LOL

Old friend from back in grade school had a hunting cabin his grandma left him. We hunted from that cabin for over twenty years. No plumbing or electric just wood stoves for cooking and heating. There was a 12" cast iron pan we used all that time and it was perfect. I loved that pan. When my buddy sold the place I thought about running up there and snagging that pan but his ex-wife beat me to it. LOL

Cast iron, perfect camp cookware IMO

I bought, and dearly appreciate, a StarGazer 12” pan. Wonderful.

I use refined grapeseed oil for seasoning. Flax seed oil can go brittle after a while, so I think the bloom is off that rose.

I bought, and dearly appreciate, a StarGazer 12” pan. Wonderful.

I use refined grapeseed oil for seasoning. Flax seed oil can go brittle after a while, so I think the bloom is off that rose.
I looked at that pan for awhile. But I decided to see what I could find used in a 12" skillet. I hear you on that seasoning oil. I use the grape seed oil too. And it doesn't go rancid.

Reactions: navychop
Plenty of similar out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: Magic Static
We have been using ours lately. Hot skillet with steak finish up in the oven very good. Also been doing burgers with it .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've been finding some excellent recipes for cast iron skillets. I did this corn bread last night. The only difference was I added three tablespoons sugar. And I didn't leave the pan warming and the butter melting in the oven for a full ten minutes. The butter had browned nicely in 8 minutes and the flavor was excellent. :)

They also had a recipe for turkey dressing that was very interesting. And though I didn't use the ingredients list, I used the technique and I loved it. I'll be using this again soon. :)

Love cast iron but be careful if you have a glasstop stove, it will scratch the glass and permanently ruin it. Nothing better than potatoes fried in lard in a cast iron skillet, yum! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)