Cast Iron cooking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have acquired some cast iron cookware lately and decided to learn about using and caring for cast iron. My Mother-in-law passed away and left a beautiful 100 year old cast iron skillet, Chicago Foundry circa 1917-1934. I had only one cast iron pan before, a BSR from 1980 (Birmingham Stove & Range) I stripped and re-seasoned that pan and it's a real gem. I decided to get a couple more pieces and replace some of my Calphalon Commercial Aluminum cookware. Smithey Ironware has some fine looking Carbon Steel pieces and I picked up their new round roaster and a cast iron 10" Chef Skillet. The first cook in my Mother-in-laws old pan was Southern Fried Chicken :hungry

My dad used to have one of his mom's old cast iron skillets. When I was growing up he used to always make us fried potatoes in it. :hungry

Dad passed away then a few years later I had to sell their home when mom had to go into nursing home care. I looked everywhere for that pan as I wanted to keep it and use it at my home but, alas, it was nowhere to be found. :(

Old friend from back in grade school had a hunting cabin his grandma left him. We hunted from that cabin for over twenty years. No plumbing or electric just wood stoves for cooking and heating. There was a 12" cast iron pan we used all that time and it was perfect. I loved that pan. When my buddy sold the place I thought about running up there and snagging that pan but his ex-wife beat me to it. LOL

Old friend from back in grade school had a hunting cabin his grandma left him. We hunted from that cabin for over twenty years. No plumbing or electric just wood stoves for cooking and heating. There was a 12" cast iron pan we used all that time and it was perfect. I loved that pan. When my buddy sold the place I thought about running up there and snagging that pan but his ex-wife beat me to it. LOL

Cast iron, perfect camp cookware IMO

I bought, and dearly appreciate, a StarGazer 12” pan. Wonderful.

I use refined grapeseed oil for seasoning. Flax seed oil can go brittle after a while, so I think the bloom is off that rose.

I bought, and dearly appreciate, a StarGazer 12” pan. Wonderful.

I use refined grapeseed oil for seasoning. Flax seed oil can go brittle after a while, so I think the bloom is off that rose.
I looked at that pan for awhile. But I decided to see what I could find used in a 12" skillet. I hear you on that seasoning oil. I use the grape seed oil too. And it doesn't go rancid.

Reactions: navychop
Plenty of similar out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Magic Static
We have been using ours lately. Hot skillet with steak finish up in the oven very good. Also been doing burgers with it .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've been finding some excellent recipes for cast iron skillets. I did this corn bread last night. The only difference was I added three tablespoons sugar. And I didn't leave the pan warming and the butter melting in the oven for a full ten minutes. The butter had browned nicely in 8 minutes and the flavor was excellent. :)

They also had a recipe for turkey dressing that was very interesting. And though I didn't use the ingredients list, I used the technique and I loved it. I'll be using this again soon. :)

Love cast iron but be careful if you have a glasstop stove, it will scratch the glass and permanently ruin it. Nothing better than potatoes fried in lard in a cast iron skillet, yum! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)