Catch 22 / Continued problems with Wally/Playmaker

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
My last post regarding this situation did not result in any solutions (Odd Wally Behavior, May 17, 2024). This is an updated status.

I am back at my usual campground. Arriving after dark I misjudged proper location for the Playmaker and got the Wally "no satellites found" message. However, the EHD would not function - "not at this time" message.

So, I take it to use the EHD function I must have satellite reception from the location/antenna that has none for it to work? Not what I signed up for, or spent weeks recording shows for a no-satellite-reception scenario.

This morning I used a hand-bearing marine compass and re-located the antenna. I got the "no satellites found" message. However, going through the menu to satellites I had good signal on 110 and 119. After sorely trying my patience, the receiver started to work. The EHD also worked.

This is disappointing performance. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Last edited:
Reactions: That American Girl
I also depend on the EHD to work when I cannot get satellite reception. On my setup I have to make sure the EHD is on prior to the Wally. For this reason when leaving a campground I unplug the Wally and then turn off my EHD. At the campground I setup the dish, turn on the EHD and then plug the Wally back up. This usually works for me.

On my next camping trip in a few weeks I believe I can get satellite reception, but who knows. Google maps can be misleading. At an upcoming trip in September I know I cannot get satellite reception and I will be recording a lot of shows for that trip.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the reply, Ruebenray.

I have my Wally and EHD in a HIDEits mount velcro'd to back of TV (makes it very off balance and hard to keep horizontal). So basically, when I plug in Wally to 110vac it starts the EHD and the playmaker. I still can't wrap my head around why if there's signal to be found, the Wally/Playmaker finds it, but reports on screen "no satellites found".

I wonder if this is a known Dish bug - my Hopper with 1000.2 when started routinely displays the "no satellites found" for a second or so before working properly.

Or, maybe I'm just cursed.

Thanks for the reply, Ruebenray.

I have my Wally and EHD in a HIDEits mount velcro'd to back of TV (makes it very off balance and hard to keep horizontal). So basically, when I plug in Wally to 110vac it starts the EHD and the playmaker. I still can't wrap my head around why if there's signal to be found, the Wally/Playmaker finds it, but reports on screen "no satellites found".

I wonder if this is a known Dish bug - my Hopper with 1000.2 when started routinely displays the "no satellites found" for a second or so before working properly.

Or, maybe I'm just cursed.
What are you using to locate the satellites? I use the Winegard app. Sometimes it appears I have a view of the satellites, but once I look at the angle shown on the app I do not.

I used a hand bearing compass to see which end of the campsite had the most open view - in my case, following dishpointer.com's 151 degrees magnetic specs for Dish 500 (110/119). To summarize, I know I'm aiming in the right direction. I know taking the home/home/home menu to dish shows ample signal on 110 and 119. I know the Wally keeps presenting the "No satellites found" screen, even while the signal strengths for both 110 and 119 are well into the "green".

Trying to get a straight answer

Hopper - Google Nest Doorbell - No Image Notification