Cautious with Upgrade and Downgrade

frog62

Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I have a four receiver setup. 510 just shot craps and DN says I can't downgrade - which sounds completely bogus (they just don't want to cut loose of the $4.99 per month DVR fee). I also want to replace two old legacy receivers (2800's I think) that cant hold a signal. I can get, as a bundle, two used 301's and a 508 for cheeeeeeeap. They are guaranteed to have no outstanding balance. Are there any other concerns I should have buying used receivers such as activation from DN, etc...? Can I use my existing cards (the 510 card and each 2800) in these replacement receivers? If not, how do I get replacement cards? Anything else I should be aware of? I just can't seem to trust DN - you never get a straight answer if there is some chance you might take a dime or two away from them.

No, you can't use the cards and buying used receivers "blind" is a crapshoot.

If they are telling you you ca't downgrade, it sounds like you're still on a commitment.

SimpleSimon said:
If they are telling you you ca't downgrade, it sounds like you're still on a commitment.

Sounds more like he doesn't qualify for Dishin' it up (lease upgrade promotion) to upgrade his 2800's. frog62 u should ask about that promotion if u haven't already. Also, do u own or lease ur receivers ? If u own them, u can do whatever u want with them. SimpleSimon is right about smartcards not being interchangeable; ur smartcard is married to ur receiver. It would cost u $49 + shipping and tax to get a replacement s/c if u claim lost or stolen. For that price u could get a 301/311 reman. If u don't know where to get one of those, throw a fit with dish and u will find out :yes !

Also, if u get a receiver on ebay, it would be subject to all those ebay ratings and restrictions; where u can kinda tell from the users rating and selling history if they are telling the truth. Plus if they give u the R00 & S00 #s up front so u can call Dish and check, then u should be ok. That is of course nowhere as good as getting the standard one-year warranty that comes with a remanufactured receiver. In some cases (like 921's and 721's), a reman can be better than a new one because all those bugs have been already caught in the multi-point testing they put it thru before it is a w/ warrany reman.

welcome to the site frog62. the above is very good advice. and if you do ebay it, make sure you check the feedback as the above stated.

I don't buy anything on Ebay unless the seller has a retail store and web site.

However, Ebay may be where I found Metro 25 last year.
One of their divisions/spin-offs/whatever seems to be a sponsor here.
Prices were fine, delivery was great, products still working after all these years.

I got remanufactured 508's with new N2 cards.
They have 'em on their site now. And for even less than last year! ;)
I'd say if they have what you want, it's a very reliable place to shop.

I own my receivers. Only the 510 has failed. I just thought I would take the opportunity to replace the legacies also. They continually drop signal - a real pain.

Since DN or Radio Shack don't recognize any price difference in new vs refurbished, I really don't have a problem buying refurbished on ebay (in box, remote, cords, blah blah blah, $60 bucks incl shipping). $40+ savings x 2 is worth it for the 301's. How do you know the cards are new? I see some stating 101, 102, yellow, blue.

I want to go with the 508 to drop the dvr service fee. I really don't watch alot of tv - news and sports mostly. If my kids and wife would let me I'd drop all but the basic programming. I just want reliable receivers and programming while minimizing cost. Alright - I'm cheap. I'm not much for leasing either - anything.

I finally found Metro 25 - which looks like The DishStore - which looks like the SatelliteGuysStore. Oh well: DP 508 = $179.00 I was hoping for better. $139 with free shipping, new card, in box?

frog62 said:
I finally found Metro 25 - which looks like The DishStore - which looks like the SatelliteGuysStore. Oh well: DP 508 = $179.00 I was hoping for better. $139 with free shipping, new card, in box?
I paid $225 for 508's last year, and was glad to get 'em.
Really nothing to hint that it was anything but new,,,, except the sticker on the box.
(new box, new manual, new remote, new yellow card, new cables, everything)
Spend your money where you like, and save what you can.
I'm just giving them my blessing, and was surprised to see they were connected here. ;)

I finally found Metro 25 - which looks like The DishStore - which looks like the SatelliteGuysStore.
That's because they are all one and the same. Claude is Metro25, and also runs dishretailer.com, which is this site's sister site for dealers. Scott (the boss here) is basically the webmaster over there.

Yea, Claude is the guy I spoke with.
Very nice. Very much clear on what the deal was.
There was no misunderstanding, and there were no errors.
From the sounds in the background, he was overworked.
He got my thousand bucks, and my highest praise!