cbs vs fox in football HD

Your eyes do not deceive you. I was thinking about it last night how I'm sad the Super Bowl will be on CBS. The upside? No Joe Buck.

Well, I'm still waiting for my local FOX do upgrade to HD. They're broadcasting a digital signal but no HD, so right now for me CBS looks better. I have complained to my wife about CBS using 1080i though. There is a lot of pixelation during games. I think the 720p that FOX and ESPN use is much better suited for sports. My local FOX is supposed to be up and running in HD in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to make a fair comparison then. By then though the only sport on FOX will be Nascar.

What I REALLY liked about HD was that the local stations have not figured out how to put weather info on the HD channels yet. On Saturday night/Sunday morning we had a 3" snowfall. It was THE END OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE as far as the local channels were concerned. They were all trying to outdo each other with weather maps, moving doepler images, school and business closing crawls, homeless shelter info (no joke!...how many homeless people watch TV?), road maps with road condintions all running constantly taking HALF the screen over scheduled programming.

When they switched to the HD NFL games at 3 and 6pm respectively, all this "vital" information vanished!

And yes Fox's picture and sound was superior to CBS's

BTW the roads were clear and DRY by noon on Sunday. The weather crawls and maps continued until prime time on the non-hd channels.

See ya
Tony

Lucky you. Last week when the ice storm hit Oklahoma they went to full bore weather coverage and we got a nicely little message scrolling across the screen from KOTV (cbs) saying the FCC required them to carry all their emergency weather info on their main channel so we would not get the game in hd. Yet KOKI fox sowed the entire NFC games in hd doing weather break ins during commercial time. And our NBC station which is the only station that can put weather graphics on the hd feed dropped back to sd when they didn't need to.

I agree that carrying EMERGENCY information on a channel is necessary. A 3" snow fall does not count as an EMERGENCY! A tonado on the ground or actually forming? Yup that's an emergency. A blizzard or heavy snow ACTUALLY coming out of the blue (from a 50° day to a blizzard condition) yup. That's an emergency. A hurricane within 48 hours of landfall. Yup that's an emergency. A train derailment with a chemical spill that may cause deadly plumes of gas and affect the water supply. Absolutely that's an emergency.

Telling people that the St. Mary Lady of Perpetual Motion's Sunday morning services have been chanceled at 4pm due to a 3" snow-fall that had been over since 11am is NOT an emergency and if anything is inducing panic! THE WORLD WAS COMING TO AN END!!!! SNOW FELL FROM THE SKY!!!! IT"S THE END OF THE UNIVERSE I TELL YOU!!! REPENT!!! REPENT!!!

Anyway... reason #1 why I loathe local TV. We are expecting a dusting tonight and you'd think the blizard of 77' (or was it '78?) was coming back!

See ya
Tony

The surround audio levels seem to go up and down on CBS, like they have an over aggressive compressor on the field mics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)