CDN in Atlanta needs your advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mecdatlanta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Greetings All!

I have been looking over this site with much admiration. Thank you to all those who contribute!

I would like to purchase either a SC or BEV system so that I can take advantage of the most French programming I can get my hands on. My kids need the programming so that they can learn the language.

I have family in both Ontario and Quebec, so getting a billing address won't be a problem. I assume the programming is the same for both provinces?

Which system would provide me with the most options? What size of a dish would I need for my location (Atlanta, GA)?

Thanks in advance.

Don

I believe Atlanta is in the footprint for all satellites, so it's your choice.

Expressvu generally has more French programming than StarChoice.
Atlanta should get by with a 20" dish (Dish 500).
As for programming, Expressvu offers slightly different programming for english & french speakers.
I've attached pdf files showing the differences.

Attachments

• english_menu.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 354
  • french_menu.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Where to buy?

Thanks for the advice Derwin0 and for providing the programming for ExpressVu. It does look like the French programming package offered by them is what I need.

Thanks for mentioning Dish 500. I actually currently have a Dish 301 receiver and 2 dishes atop my house. I plan to cancel my subscription once I have the ExpressVu in place. Is there any benefit to me having this hardware in place (i.e. can I reuse any of the existing hardware)?

Finally, what is the best way to go as far as getting the hardware? I don't plan to return to Canada until next summer, but my father is coming in Jan and he could bring it with him then. Alternatively, where could I order from? (Sending my father to pick up electronics equipment is risky business).

Thanks again!

Don

Expressvu generally has more French programming than StarChoice.

Hardly the case. They are similiar.

The major differences are that there are more French radio on SC. Réseau France Outremer is a re uplinked CBand signal on SC whereas it is a foggy shadowy OTA version on Expressvu.

Plus you get all the US net HD free on SC - $10/month extra on Expressvu. SC is adding Super Ecran HD at no extra charge (with the Super Ecran package) at the end of the month.

Additionally with SC, you can phone up 24/7 and immediately change your programming + view/pay your bill online with a credit card. A 75 cm dish is recommended for your area.

Last edited:
since you are in the usa, i would go with *c as they are friendly to us subs, bev will disconnect you if they find out you are in the usa.

I actually currently have a Dish 301 receiver and 2 dishes atop my house. I plan to cancel my subscription once I have the ExpressVu in place. Is there any benefit to me having this hardware in place (i.e. can I reuse any of the existing hardware)?
If you decide to go with EVu you can re-use the existing Dish hardware. Both providers use the same equipment.

I was a BEV customer before SC. I switched to SC to be able to have 2 receivers. The difference in French channels is negligeable. Most French channels are on both. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of French-language material.

I went with the "Parfait Bilingue" pkg. It allows me to view my French stuff, HNIC, and curling.

I would take a look at both offerings and see which one you like best.

HTH.

Would EVu be easier?

If you decide to go with EVu you can re-use the existing Dish hardware. Both providers use the same equipment.

Would it be easier/cheaper to go with EVu? I ask this b/c it seems as if I might be able to avoid buying some of the hardware. What could I reuse and therefore (hopefully) avoid buying?

I think that *C has good French programming and it appears to be slightly cheaper. I am just trying to avoid drilling extra holes in my roof and instead simply reposition my existing dish (in fact, I have two dishes -- both Dish network dishes. I probably will only need one for EVu, right?)

Thanks again for your contructive input.

Don

Well, for starters you'll need an ExpressVu receiver. I don't know if you can buy just the receiver if you're not already a subscriber -- i.e. they may force you to get the full deal including box, dish and lnb.

As far as reusing your Dish hardware, the lnb, coax and switches (if applicable) are compatible. The dish itself would be too (it does nothing but reflect/concentrate the income satellite signal) but considering your location you may have to get a bigger 20 or 24" dish.

In the past I've had both ExpressVu and StarChoice. Both had their advantages and disadvantages. I found the SC picture quality to be better overall than EVu's. But I haven't had DTH service in over two years (switched to cable because of a free PVR offer my provider (Rogers) had at the time) so things may have changed/improved since then. I only recently got back into it with my FTA setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)