Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
I would like to somehow connect my cell to a landline based answering machine. this could save big bucks. for the 10 buck a month friends and family i could check my answering machine airtime free.

does such a device exist?

not sure if there are adapters for that use, but i do know there are adapters for hooking up credit card machines to dial out on. (the local tool trucks use them for running CCs on purchases, and for usin as a dial-up modem)

I am shocked to see my old question still active.

Gee things have changed Verizon allowed some unlimited call FREE numbers on their plans so I made my home number one.

And now wallmarkt trackphone that uses the verizon network has that unlimited phone text picture web access for 45 bucks a month straightalk plan:)

I have been using it for a few weeks it works everywhere verizon does and is a big bargain.

its prepaid, i will likely move my number to straightalk and save a ton of bucks:)

Cathy, a Google search for: "cell phone to landline adapter" will give you several options.

I have an Xlink Bluetooth that works fine. They are basically designed to tie a cell phone into normal landline phones in your house. You can then pick up whatever phone you want. If you still wanted the landline you would need 2-line phones... one line for the Xlink(cell) and one for the landline connection. If one of the landline phones has an answering machine it will pick up the cell call.

If you are in the USA and have AT&T or t mobile (gsm carrier), you can get a Fixed GSM gateway. eBay has them for less than 100.00. It's a small box with a cellular antenna, ac adaptor and has a phone jack on it. You take the sim card from your Cellphone, or from your "add a line" extra Cellphone and insert it into the unit. Now you can plug your home phone into it. It emulates a dial tone just like a landline. We have two of them for two lines and they work great. Just a reminder- I don't know if using these would offend your carrier-don't know why it would, but just keep it on the downlow. I actually have my gsm terminals powering all the jacks in my house. I crimped a short jumper of cat 5 on an rj-11 plug and ran it to my patch panel. Or you can just use a modular cord to a phone. Also if you are in a remote area, higher gain cellular yagi outdoor antennas are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)