Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
VIDGO Launches as Next-Gen TV Streaming Service at CES 2016

New over-the-top service offers the most channels of live linear TV

January 06, 2016 11:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Over-the-top TV streaming service VIDGO debuts at CES 2016. Now in beta testing, VIDGO offers the most channels of live linear TV and video-on-demand, including premium, sports, local and international content. The OTT service works with devices from smart TVs to tablets to smartphones, providing true on-the-go video for an extremely affordable price.

Created by industry experts, VIDGO offers truly on-the-go live video. With no fees for equipment, no credit check and no contracts, everyone qualifies for VIDGO service.

“VIDGO combines the best of existing online streaming services with live television and VOD,” said Robert Kostensky, VIDGO president and co-founder. “VIDGO is the lowest cost solution to deliver the most expansive catalog of live linear television and VOD to all devices and connected televisions.”

VIDGO will be offered in three competitively priced packages, with no long-term contracts required. Each package includes multiple simultaneous device streams. Programming includes live linear premium, sports, movies, music, local and international content.

VIDGO will launch in 15 markets in the US in the first half of 2016, with full coverage throughout the U.S. by Q4 2016. To sign-up to be alerted of more information on VIDGO and the launch in your area, visit VIDGO.com. Pricing and channel listings details for VIDGO will be released later in Q1.

About VIDGO
VIDGO is an over-the-top television streaming service offering next-gen TV with more channels of live linear programming than any other OTT service. VIDGO is the lowest cost solution for premium television services, providing live premium, sports, movies, music, local and international content at an affordable price. VIDGO will be available in 15 U.S. markets in the first half of 2016, with full national expansion by Q4 2016.

Yeah, with that kind of "store front" it makes one wonder about it. I can imagine giving an e-mail address only to find it is just a collection of religious and ethnic channels. I usually wind up feeling suckered when I do that sort of thing.

DRCars

Just got thru reading that also. Looks like Vidgo is basing it's future on a not yet adopted FCC rule:

http://mashable.com/2016/01/05/vidgo-streaming-tablet-access/

Based on the details we have (which, admittedly, aren't a lot), it looks like Vidgo is hoping to take advantage of rule changes proposed by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to the way online video distributors (OVDs) are classified.

Wheeler has proposed redefining certain OVDs as multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs), which would mean that online service providers could have access to the same content as traditional cable companies. It would also mean that broadcasters would not be able to deny access to their networks by these online distributors, provided they pay retransmission fees.

There was supposed to be a vote on the proposal at the end of 2015, but it looks like it was moved to the back burner.
That would just mean that they can compete with other cable\satellite companies. As the article says no cord-cutting here just cord-shifting.

DRCars

I did sign up for more information at vidgo.com before posting - I posted here because I couldn't find anything on their website. Even the email they sent was generic sounding.

If Sling has really had all the issues getting content providers to sign up then I wonder how Vidgo thinks it will do it. I can't see Vidgo being any better guess time will tell.

One of the articles I saw, suggested that Vidgo was basically hoping the FCC would give them what Sky Angel IPTV asked for and never received - a declaration that Vidgo was an "MVPD" - declaring it equal to any other cable or satellite company. And at which point, they would have been entitled to the same terms and conditions under which any cable/satellite company could license networks. I'm almost positive they would have access to the NBC/Comcast owned networks, due to the merger conditions imposed, but the FCC ruling would give Vidgo a much firmer standing to go after other networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)