CES PVR Rumours

LarryH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Hi all,

Here are some rumours that I picked up from the Dish/Direct reps at CES. For those of you still at CES, see if you can get confirmation on some of these:

1) The DirecTV MPEG4 offering in the summer will be a non-PVR receiver. The DirecTV MPEG4 PVR receiver will be released much later (2006?)

2) The DirecTV MPEG4 PVR is currently targeted for NDS software only (no Tivo versions)

3) DirecTV plans to release both NDS and Tivo versions of the SD receiver

4) Dish plans to charge $250 to lease the 942

Enjoy,
Larry

Yes, that is pretty steep. What are they going to do a year from now, say its another $250 to lease the MPEG-4 HD DVR? This wouldn't be bad at all if it was something that was guaranteed to last for an x number of years but nothing in life is guaranteed except for death and taxes.

mdonnelly said:
Pretty steep monthly charge for a lease. :confused:
The $250 is a one-time charge. There is no monthly lease fee. Basically, you will save ~$500 if you lease instead of buy.

LarryH said:
The $250 is a one-time charge. There is no monthly lease fee. Basically, you will save ~$500 if you lease instead of buy.

Except this receiver will only be of use through this years end. Mpeg4 is coming for this FALL. So why pay $250.00 to use it for one year or less? This sounds like another way for Dish to get $$$$$$$$$ at it's customers expense. :mad:

MikeD-C05 said:
Except this receiver will only be of use through this years end. Mpeg4 is coming for this FALL. So why pay $250.00 to use it for one year or less? This sounds like another way for Dish to get $$$$$$$$$ at it's customers expense. :mad:
It's still better than paying $750.00 to use it for one year or less :)

It's your dime and if you want to blow the cost of a regular receiver for less than a years use , go right ahead. I don't think anyone who knows the truth about the mpeg4 conversion should give Dish a red cent for this receiver.

Yeah that's pretty dang crazy. Charge you $250 upfront and you still wouldn't own it? That's some crazy "lease offer" I'd pay a max of 9.98 for monthly to lease the DVR :)