Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok Bluegras this ones for you... it's a look at the upcoming DTS Play-FI Whole Home Music service for the DISH Hopper (and Joeys too) :)

This video was shot in full 4K resolution on location at the 2017 CES in Las Vegas, Nevada!

scott thank you for doing the video just got back from a rod and kustom show in duburque iowa can u use a app for the hopper to stream the music services just a good question :)

So this means you can play *to* Hoppers/Joeys, but can you play *from* Hoppers/Joeys to other devices? Would be cool to be able to pipe DishCD/Muzak or Sirius channels to other devices in the house

So this means you can play *to* Hoppers/Joeys, but can you play *from* Hoppers/Joeys to other devices? Would be cool to be able to pipe DishCD/Muzak or Sirius channels to other devices in the house
alot of folks would like to see this happen too scott said that many more music services are coming to the app all i want now is tunein,and i like that iheart radio is coming. With tunein radio there are over 100,000 radio stations that stream on the internet if a local radio stations streams on the internet most likely that are in tunein or iheart radio database,
here is their website http://tunein.com/

TuneIn will not be coming. Was told it could create a security issue for the Hoppers.

That doesn't make any sense. Sounds like an excuse to cover up for "we couldn't negotiate a deal"

And I think maybe my question got confused. Will there be a way to play Dish channels out to other DTS Play-Fi "sinks" (meaning DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers/receivers/etc)

No playout from the Hopper to other DTS speakers. (But remember the Hoppers have Bluetooth out to go to other speakers)

There really is no deal needed for TuneIn or internet radio. The issue is some of the servers out there can launch other things (such as popup commercials) in their streams which can do strange things to the Hopper.

Reactions: TheKrell
My echo can play TuneIn stations just fine without a screen, so I'm not sure what you mean by "pop up" commercials. I guess the point is that TuneIn stations are actually streaming directly from their sources instead of only coming from TuneIn themselves, which if Dish wrote their app with security in mind wouldn't be an issue, but I can see where some philosophies behind app design would make it a non-starter

Reactions: bluegras
I did some testing of this on my own, using some of what was provided me, and sometimes the streams would be pulled away with ads, or popups for surveys. Who knows what kind of payloads those things could hold.

I dont believe when the Hopper was designed there were ideas for add on apps like this, thus the security issues and I can see from that side why they would want to be worried about them.

Reactions: xsullyx
No playout from the Hopper to other DTS speakers. (But remember the Hoppers have Bluetooth out to go to other speakers)

There really is no deal needed for TuneIn or internet radio. The issue is some of the servers out there can launch other things (such as popup commercials) in their streams which can do strange things to the Hopper.
scott good point i do see popouts on the tunein website it could be what you are talking about :)

right, I'm not denigrating them for it, it's the way they're implementing it has led them to the point that they have these issues. there are ways around it but it's an investment vs. return calculation, and doing it in a different way (like the amazon echo) might require more resources or expertise they don't have. not saying they're wrong or bad, it's just the path they've ended up down. it's not really a "security" issue as much as a "we can't control it" issue

right, I'm not denigrating them for it, it's the way they're implementing it has led them to the point that they have these issues. there are ways around it but it's an investment vs. return calculation, and doing it in a different way (like the amazon echo) might require more resources or expertise they don't have. not saying they're wrong or bad, it's just the path they've ended up down. it's not really a "security" issue as much as a "we can't control it" issue
joe there should be a way that tunein could contact a third party developer and create a app but have all the security and the popout issues resolved

joe there should be a way that tunein could contact a third party developer and create a app but have all the security and the popout issues resolved
right, that would cost money though. this is really a niche feature that will probably be used by a single digit percentage of Hopper users. It's neat, but it's not Earth shattering. TuneIn support isn't even anything I care about, I'm more disappointed by the fact that we can't send Dish audio to other Play-Fi destinations. It's also not a huge thing, I plan on upgrading to a multi-zone AV receiver. My end goal is to get Dish audio out to the patio so I can listen to Sirius or Muzak while grilling out

you are right about that joseph what i want to do with the app is i want to play it on my hopper 3 and i want to listen to the app on my bluetooth headphones thats the only way i can do it for right now until i can get some more speakers to do the whole home music in another room for now,
right, that would cost money though. this is really a niche feature that will probably be used by a single digit percentage of Hopper users. It's neat, but it's not Earth shattering. TuneIn support isn't even anything I care about, I'm more disappointed by the fact that we can't send Dish audio to other Play-Fi destinations. It's also not a huge thing, I plan on upgrading to a multi-zone AV receiver. My end goal is to get Dish audio out to the patio so I can listen to Sirius or Muzak while grilling out

Again why not just use Bluetooth?

Again why not just use Bluetooth?

Because Bluetooth is not a whole home solution. You can only Bluetooth to one device at a time, I don't have outdoor bluetooth speakers.

I mean, why did dish add DTS Play-Fi at all? Why not just use Bluetooth from your phone?

It's not a huge deal, I was just curious how far this particular feature went. I'm not going to set my Hopper on fire and switch to DirecTV or whatever because I can't send Sirius or Muzak to another source. When I signed up and bought my Hopper I already had a design in mind that didn't depend on the Play-Fi stuff (cos it didn't exist/didn't know about it)

Because Bluetooth is not a whole home solution. You can only Bluetooth to one device at a time, I don't have outdoor bluetooth speakers.

You are right, but I have a Bluetooth story.

One morning when I went to my car to drive to work, I accidentally left my phone on what we call the butler's pantry just inside the house from our garage door. I backed out of my driveway, onto the street, and partway down the street before I realized I didn't have my phone. I was stupefied to find that my phone in the house was still paired with the radio in my car! I would estimate the range between car and phone was around 100' with 2 walls and the car body in between.

You are right, but I have a Bluetooth story.

One morning when I went to my car to drive to work, I accidentally left my phone on what we call the butler's pantry just inside the house from our garage door. I backed out of my driveway, onto the street, and partway down the street before I realized I didn't have my phone. I was stupefied to find that my phone in the house was still paired with the radio in my car! I would estimate the range between car and phone was around 100' with 2 walls and the car body in between.
Some Bluetooth device's distance range are farther than the normal 33 feet. Depends on what class and version of the Bluetooth devices.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)