Ch. 11 Houston HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
There may be some people out there that are in the area so I'll try. I've been watching my locals in HD over a huge OTA antenna and I get a strong signal. However for the past week or so, channel 11-1 in Houston has been getting occasional audio dropouts. I taped Big Brother last night and when I watched it, it was so unbearable I had to turn closed captioning on just to keep up with what was being said. If I had known it would have been like that I would have tried my new HD local from the dish or even HD STD to see if it was a channel problem or not.

Anybody else happen to see this last night? Or when this happens, is it usually a station problem, DVR, etc.?

I'm in Angleton and have had problems with 11-1 since day one. I have audio and video drop-outs with both H20-600 and HR20-100, even though signal meters show 98%-100%. To top it off, closed captions experience same drop-outs and intermittent service. I even experience closed caption problems (usually garbling) on the D* version of channel 11 local in HD. All other Houston stations work as they are supposed to, with the exception of 8-1, which can only be viewed OTA during the winter. Channel 8-1 is VHF 9, and my antenna is UHF only. I have emailed channel 11 and they just ignore it. It may be a OTA reception problem only in certain areas, and thus not fixable, but that still doesn't explain why channel 11 closed captions have problems even on the D* satellite channel 11 HD local.

There may be some people out there that are in the area so I'll try. I've been watching my locals in HD over a huge OTA antenna and I get a strong signal. However for the past week or so, channel 11-1 in Houston has been getting occasional audio dropouts. I taped Big Brother last night and when I watched it, it was so unbearable I had to turn closed captioning on just to keep up with what was being said. If I had known it would have been like that I would have tried my new HD local from the dish or even HD STD to see if it was a channel problem or not.

Anybody else happen to see this last night? Or when this happens, is it usually a station problem, DVR, etc.?

I don't know whether or not this may be causing your problem(s) but Ch. 11 took a direct lightning hit to their transmitter around noon on either Wednesday or Thursday (if my memory is correct). We were watching the noon news and lost the HD signal altogether, on the SD side, the anchorman was apologizing and saying they had just taken a hit. Apparently they were off the air altogether for a few seconds.

We get our local HD via an OTA antenna.

Last edited:
I don't know whether or not this may be causing your problem(s) but Ch. 11 took a direct lightning hit to their transmitter around noon on either Wednesday or Thursday (if my memory is correct). We were watching the noon news and lost the HD signal altogether, on the SD side, the anchorman was apologizing and saying they had just taken a hit. Apparently they were off the air altogether for a few seconds.
That probably explains why Thursday night was horrible.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one without problems though. Somewhere else I read that perhaps the signal is too strong. I do get 100% signal strength on OTA. Maybe I need to try knocking it down a bit, but that still doesn't solve the problem with the D* feed like frogg has.

Thanks for the link to the AVS forum thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts