Change 1000.2 EA from 2 LNB to 3 LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goofy_american

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
MN
Approximately two years ago, Dish installed a black 1000.2 antenna at my house. It's pointed to the eastern arc.
It only has 2 LNB's - 61.5 and 72.
I questioned the loss of the 77 satellite but the tech stated all the programming was on the other satellites.
Dish has now removed a large number of the standard definition (SD) channels from these two satellites. Many of them have been moved to 77...which I don't have.
We have a 722 receiver and quickly run out of recording space when the programming is only available in HD.
Can I simply change the LNB to a 3 LNB model which will pick up all three satellites? Is the antenna and feed arm compatible? The antenna is already tuned for 61.5 and 72. Would I need to retune it for the new LNB?
Here's the LNB I was thinking about - http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=157092
Advice is appreciated - thanks!

Approximately two years ago, Dish installed a black 1000.2 antenna at my house. It's pointed to the eastern arc.
It only has 2 LNB's - 61.5 and 72.
I questioned the loss of the 77 satellite but the tech stated all the programming was on the other satellites.
Dish has now removed a large number of the standard definition (SD) channels from these two satellites. Many of them have been moved to 77...which I don't have.
We have a 722 receiver and quickly run out of recording space when the programming is only available in HD.
Can I simply change the LNB to a 3 LNB model which will pick up all three satellites? Is the antenna and feed arm compatible? The antenna is already tuned for 61.5 and 72. Would I need to retune it for the new LNB?
Here's the LNB I was thinking about - http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=157092
Advice is appreciated - thanks!

No, you can't just change the LNB. You would need a 1000.4 EA dish and LNB to get 61.5, 72 and 77 using one dish.

The best advice I can give is to buy an External Hard Drive and move some of that programming off of the 722 and that will leave you lots of space for HD recording. It will only cost you the price of the EHD, there is no monthly charge to use it.

This is probably one of the few posts I have ever seen where someone is wanting SD channels.
Seriously, archiving to an EHD would be a much simpler and easier solution.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

This is probably one of the few posts I have ever seen where someone is wanting SD channels.
Seriously, archiving to an EHD would be a much simpler and easier solution.
That depends on whether or not you can afford to keep buying hard drives. As I suggested in another thread by someone with the same problem as the OP, upgrading to a receiver with a larger built-in hard drive might be the best solution.

The BEST solution is to actually watch the shows you record so you can then delete them.
Actually, I came up with another solution that might work for the OP: switch the LNB on the 1000.2 to the Western Arc LNB and re-aim the dish for Western Arc. The Western Arc 1000.2 LNB has an input that can be used to add a second dish, so the OP can still get the local channels from Eastern Arc, in addition to the full Western Arc. This will solve the problem as long as the standard-def feeds remain available on Western Arc.

Actually, I came up with another solution that might work for the OP: switch the LNB on the 1000.2 to the Western Arc LNB and re-aim the dish for Western Arc. The Western Arc 1000.2 LNB has an input that can be used to add a second dish, so the OP can still get the local channels from Eastern Arc, in addition to the full Western Arc. This will solve the problem as long as the standard-def feeds remain available on Western Arc.
That is true, but SD on WA is in MPEG2, which will take up more space than the SD on EA which is MPEG4. Unless the OP is proficient in dish pointing, I would just get a 1 or 2 TB EHD, that you can probably get as cheap or cheaper now than a 1000.2 WA LNBF costs.

One other possible solution would be to leave the 1000.2 aimed for Eastern Arc, and add a Dish 500 and a DPP44 switch. This would give the OP 110/119/61.5/72.7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts