Change from 501 to VIP 612

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

birdmfc

Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I currently have a 501 and want to upgrade to the new VIP 612. I am wanting to just buy one so that I don't have to rent from dish. I currently have the dish 500 and I didn't know if it will pickup all of my channels or do I have to upgrade to the dish 1000. I know that I will have to rewire and have two inputs to the vip 612, but that is all I know. Please help.

first of all
:welcome

If you don't lease it from dish they get you for some other fee and I think the diference in the fees is like 98 cents. I don't suggest anyone buying their receivers

first of all
:welcome

If you don't lease it from dish they get you for some other fee and I think the diference in the fees is like 98 cents. I don't suggest anyone buying their receivers

Plus if it goes bad out of warranty, too bad!

Need more info, where do you live?, what type lnb's and switches do you have?

Kentucky, I am uncertain of the LNBS or switches that I have, how do I find out?

I thought that I would save money by buying the unit instead of paying the lease fee.

"Kentucky" is insufficiently specific.

Speaking in generalities, if you want all available HD channels, and in particular your locals in HD via satellite, you will almost certainly want to pick up another orbital location in addition to 110/119. That most likely will be 61.5. If you intend to keep your 501 activated, or any other SD receiver that can't handle mpeg-4, then forget about Eastern Arc and just get a single "wing dish" for 61.5. If you order HD locals and your locals are only available on 61.5, then Dish will install the wing dish for free.

NB: DVRs generally have monthly fees. Our 501s (and a precious few others) do not get hit with that fee. A 612 will get hit with that fee, unless you subscribe to the Dish DVR Advantage plan, or go with the AEP.

The reason that I was asking, I didn't want them to have to come out and rewire in the house. I only have the one input on my receiver(501) instead of the dual input that is on the VIP 612. I was wondering if I could just keep the dish 500 and put a splitter on at the box to divide the signal into the two inputs, but it doesn't look like that will work. I guess that they can just come out and do the rewire and add the dish that I need. I just haven't ever had much luck with dish installers.

If you buy or lease a 612 (or any other current dual-tuner receiver), you can change the LNBs to DishPro Plus. That way, you can use the separator that comes with the receiver to feed both tuners from a single coax. You can even use diplexers (which come in pairs) to multiplex the signal from a VHF/UHF antenna onto that same single coax. This feeds all 3 tuners in the 612 with one cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts