Change Hopper 3 Hard Drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
My Hopper 3 is from the original batch. I got it right at release. I don't know if they have iterated the electronics, but it gets really hot.

Mine uses a Toshiba HDD. Are these married to the receiver anymore or could I put say an SSD in and the receiver reformat the drive and use it?

Just trying to cool things down and I have plenty of SATA SSD's around.

I'm also willing to clone via a linux tool if necessary.

Anyone ever try this?

i think a SSD would get beat to heck in the hopper 3, data written all the time.
hybrid, possibly a better option

are your fans working ?? system working well ?? would a laptop cooler or something else external help ??

I would think that an SSD with data constantly being written to it at high speed would generate a fair amount of heat too.

My H3 seems to put out considerably less heat than my VIP722K did.

SSD viability aside, I'm pretty sure the drives, or at least the drive type/mfgr/capacity, are married to the receiver. You would probably have to replace it in kind with the same exact model drive to be recognized.

Reactions: joegr
HDDs might fail in the long run whether written to or not. SSDs will definitely fail if written to all the time.

My H3 runs pretty cool, compared to older Dish DVRs. If yours is running hot, make sure it isn't full or dust and is well ventilated.

Both of my Hopper3 receivers are not very hot. Solid State Drives have a limited number of read/write cycles. They are not suited for video DVR applications.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

SSD viability aside, I'm pretty sure the drives, or at least the drive type/mfgr/capacity, are married to the receiver. You would probably have to replace it in kind with the same exact model drive to be recognized.

I've got a boxfull of NOS 2tb Seagate (various models) and Toshiba Hopper hard drives. In my testing, once formatted, they are all interchangeable.

i think a SSD would get beat to heck in the hopper 3, data written all the time.
hybrid, possibly a better option

are your fans working ?? system working well ?? would a laptop cooler or something else external help ??
Mine has a single fan and it does spin, although it doesn't trigger until things are very hot. I thought about putting a cooler on the passively cooled processor (which gets extremely hot).

HDDs might fail in the long run whether written to or not. SSDs will definitely fail if written to all the time.

My H3 runs pretty cool, compared to older Dish DVRs. If yours is running hot, make sure it isn't full or dust and is well ventilated.
No dust at all. It also has great space all around it...

Reactions: ncted
I've got a boxfull of NOS 2tb Seagate (various models) and Toshiba Hopper hard drives. In my testing, once formatted, they are all interchangeable.

Is there a set of tools or special format I would need? I'd certainly like to have a replacement drive on hand. Especially if staying with a platter drive. Those are pretty dirt cheap.

Is there a set of tools or special format I would need? I'd certainly like to have a replacement drive on hand. Especially if staying with a platter drive. Those are pretty dirt cheap.

No special tools needed. I'd use a drive designed for DVR use like your Toshiba and the Seagate ST2000VM03 that DISH uses or one with the same specs.

No special tools needed. I'd use a drive designed for DVR use like your Toshiba and the Seagate ST2000VM03 that DISH uses or one with the same specs.

So, just grab a 2Gig and swap it? If so, I may go that route. I have a 2015 Toshiba in here and that is what is making the most heat.

It installs the base software on first boot, then?

There is a $75 WD Purple 2TB on Amazon that is made for DVR/Surveillance systems or does it have to be Toshiba or Seagate?

So, just grab a 2Gig and swap it? If so, I may go that route. I have a 2015 Toshiba in here and that is what is making the most heat.

There is a $75 WD Purple 2TB on Amazon that is made for DVR/Surveillance systems or does it have to be Toshiba or Seagate?

I only have experience with the Toshiba and Seagate drives that come in the Hoppers. I have a couple dozen NOS Hopper drives. Message me if you are interested in one.

They will format upon startup following the swap.

Not sure about the Hopper specifically. I've had good luck with WD drives in Tivos though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)