Change local channels received

Your local channels are dictated by the DMA that you reside in rather than the State. There are ways to 'move' to accomplish what you are looking for as long as that 'move's' spotbeam reaches your location.

Reactions: edisonprime
I live in Southern Ohio but receive West Virginia local channels. Is there some way I can get them changed to Ohio channels?
:welcome to Satelliteguys Snow on the rooftop!
Legally you can't change your local channels through your provider, but there are ways around it. I'll move your post to the Dish forum for you.

Reactions: Snow on the rooftop
Your local channels are dictated by the DMA that you reside in rather than the State. There are ways to 'move' to accomplish what you are looking for as long as that 'move's' spotbeam reaches your location.
Cincinnati is on CONUS, so there is no need to worry about a spotbeam for those channels. ;) Cincinnati is on the 77 satellite, though, which is not part of the standard installation unless you live in a market that requires that. So, a Dish 1000.4 with its Eastern Arc LNB (or a second dish for the 77 satellite to add to any other dish configuration) would be needed. Then, just get Dish to change your service address to an address in the Cincinnati market, and you are all set. (Just tell them you are in your RV, and you need to update the service address to receive the locals where you are currently parked.) The same trick would work with any other Ohio market you may want, as long as the spotbeam for those locals actually reaches your location. If you do pick Cincinnati, use an address in the southeast corner of Indiana. This will save you money, as there would be no pesky State Surcharge, like there is with addresses in Ohio or Kentucky. (Ohio's surcharge is not too bad, but the Kentucky surcharge is kind of steep by comparison.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Thank you all for your replies. My dish is setup in Scioto county Ohio . I would like to get Columbus local channels. The dish at my home was just installed this spring. The dish at my camper is in the attached picture. The dish at the camper was being used last year with Columbus channels.

Attachments

• 893FA999-F43B-4E09-B231-1CA94F873871.jpeg
    893FA999-F43B-4E09-B231-1CA94F873871.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 4613110F-22AF-4182-8168-5B2976E389DB.jpeg
    4613110F-22AF-4182-8168-5B2976E389DB.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 215
Thank you all for your replies. My dish is setup in Scioto county Ohio . I would like to get Columbus local channels. The dish at my home was just installed this spring. The dish at my camper is in the attached picture. The dish at the camper was being used last year with Columbus channels.
I found the spotbeam map for the Columbus locals:

Your dish looks like a Western Arc dish, so you are all set, since the Columbus locals are all on the 129 satellite. All you need is a service address in the Columbus market, to be able to receive those locals.

Reactions: NYDutch

Attachments

• A0F7E734-185F-495D-B6B9-1206E61EE320.jpeg
    A0F7E734-185F-495D-B6B9-1206E61EE320.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 230
  • E60AEACE-2ED4-4633-BC73-3356271A3B26.jpeg
    E60AEACE-2ED4-4633-BC73-3356271A3B26.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 223
would the dish in these photos work for Columbus?
No, that is an Eastern Arc LNB. Your options would be to either replace the LNB with a Western Arc LNB and re-aim the dish, or use a service address in the Zanesville market. Zanesville is on Eastern Arc, and most of the channels in their local package are actually from Columbus.

No, that is an Eastern Arc LNB. Your options would be to either replace the LNB with a Western Arc LNB and re-aim the dish, or use a service address in the Zanesville market. Zanesville is on Eastern Arc, and most of the channels in their local package are actually from Columbus.
One more thing: I just entered a zip code from the Zanesville market (43701) into Dish's website that lists programming disputes...
...and Dish is currently in a dispute with the NBC affiliate, WHIZ, the only actual Zanesville station in their local package. This means that their local package currently lacks NBC, but the rest of the networks from Columbus are still there.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
One more thing: I just entered a zip code from the Zanesville market (43701) into Dish's website that lists programming disputes...
...and Dish is currently in a dispute with the NBC affiliate, WHIZ, the only actual Zanesville station in their local package. This means that their local package currently lacks NBC, but the rest of the networks from Columbus are still there.
I just went on their website and nothing about a dispute with Dish, it's like nothing's going on. It looks like a stand alone station owned by Southeastern Broadcasting System which owns two other radio stations. Dish will probably hold out on this one until the station comes to their terms.

I just went on their website and nothing about a dispute with Dish, it's like nothing's going on. It looks like a stand alone station owned by Southeastern Broadcasting System which owns two other radio stations. Dish will probably hold out on this one until the station comes to their terms.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised to find out that this station is in dispute, though, considering all of the recent coronavirus-related local channel truces. I guess the truce period is over, even though I have not seen anything about any of the other local channel disputes with Dish across the rest of the country ever resuming.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to find out that this station is in dispute, though, considering all of the recent coronavirus-related local channel truces. I guess the truce period is over, even though I have not seen anything about any of the other local channel disputes with Dish across the rest of the country ever resuming.
The two truces in my current dual DMA are still in effect...

Reactions: pattykay
I've used the Zanesville locals a few times camping because it is available on the eastern arc where I couldn't receive the western arc.. They have been in dispute for a couple yrs now..

Reactions: pattykay
It does raise an interesting question, though. Since most of the networks from Columbus are already on Eastern Arc (as part of the Zanesville package) I have to wonder why Dish doesn't go ahead and mirror the rest of the Columbus channels on Eastern Arc for subscribers in the Columbus market, to provide an alternate look angle for those who cannot receive the 129 satellite. Certainly it cannot take that much more bandwidth to mirror just a few more channels, to be able to provide a complete Columbus package there.

It does raise an interesting question, though. Since most of the networks from Columbus are already on Eastern Arc (as part of the Zanesville package) I have to wonder why Dish doesn't go ahead and mirror the rest of the Columbus channels on Eastern Arc for subscribers in the Columbus market, to provide an alternate look angle for those who cannot receive the 129 satellite. Certainly it cannot take that much more bandwidth to mirror just a few more channels, to be able to provide a complete Columbus package there.
I work in Columbus often ,well, I did before the virus, and trust me, the question most asked is why is Columbus on Western Arc for HD Locals?? The 129 elevation is at only 24° FCOL

I work in Columbus often ,well, I did before the virus, and trust me, the question most asked is why is Columbus on Western Arc for HD Locals?? The 129 elevation is at only 24° FCOL
If you figure out why Columbus is on the western arc, then you can go to work on Roanoke, VA, also only on the WA 129 in HD. Although having the SD feeds on 110 mitigates the low elevation issue some.

I'm sure we here in Lubbock, Texas would gladly swap you satellites.

Our HD locals are on 61.5.

We got much stronger and less fade prone signal from the WA satellites before we were forced to EA to get locals in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts