Change local channels received

We got much stronger and less fade prone signal from the WA satellites before we were forced to EA to get locals in HD.

This is not the case for me in northern VA. I think your dish must be out of alignment.

We are at 102.9 west longitude, that puts is 30 degrees west of the 72.7 satellite and 41.4 degrees west of 61.5, whereas we are only eight degrees east of the 110 satellite, 17 degrees east of 119 and 27 degrees east of the 129 satellite.

In addition the signal from the EA satellites are slightly lower than the WA satellites, that adds up to lower signal overall and more rain fade.

Norther VA (Arlington/Alexandria) is about 77 degrees west longitude, almost directly north of the 72.7 satellite and only 16 degrees west of the 61.5 satellite.

We are at 102.9 west longitude, that puts is 30 degrees west of the 72.7 satellite and 41.4 degrees west of 61.5, whereas we are only eight degrees east of the 110 satellite, 17 degrees east of 119 and 27 degrees east of the 129 satellite.

In addition the signal from the EA satellites are slightly lower than the WA satellites, that adds up to lower signal overall and more rain fade.

Norther VA (Arlington/Alexandria) is about 77 degrees west longitude, almost directly north of the 72.7 satellite and only 16 degrees west of the 61.5 satellite.
While I generally agree with your analysis, I seem to remember an explanation given for why the EA signal reads lower on the meter is because EA is all MPEG-4. I don't know the technical reasons why, but apparently the receivers read a stronger signal on the WA transponders, due to them having some MPEG-2 channels. For me, when I check the signal on 129 (mostly MPEG-4 HD channels) the strength reads about the same as what I would expect from EA. I have both dishes, so I can easily do a side-by-side comparison on different receivers at the same time. (Disclaimer: I use larger reflectors than most subscribers, with a Dish 1000+ international dish for WA, and a Dish 1000.4 for EA. So, that may also affect my signal readings.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Back when I had WA, 110 and 119 were in the high 70's and 129 was about 70 - never had rain fade.

With EA my signal is about 50 - every thunderstorm blacks me out for 10-15 minutes now.

Back when I had WA, 110 and 119 were in the high 70's and 129 was about 70 - never had rain fade.

With EA my signal is about 50 - every thunderstorm blacks me out for 10-15 minutes now.
I just went through that earlier tonight with my Western Arc dish. I lost signal from 129, and I got the Weather Related Signal Loss pop-up on the screen. I switched over to my receiver connected to Eastern Arc, and the channel I had been watching was still working just fine. Obviously, the fact that the dish is pointed in a different direction, away from where the thick clouds were at the moment, had something to do with that. My point is that it is hard to categorically say that one arc is better than the other. It always pays to have both, so you have a back-up if signal goes out on one of them.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah, I was a bit surprised to find out that this station is in dispute, though, considering all of the recent coronavirus-related local channel truces. I guess the truce period is over, even though I have not seen anything about any of the other local channel disputes with Dish across the rest of the country ever resuming.
The two truces in my current dual DMA are still in effect...
The truce period is officially over. :( Today's uplink report is filled with local channel dispute activity.

Reactions: pattykay