Change the local channel antenna

Bill Evans

Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Nevada Mo
The local antenna supplied by Orby will not pick up my local channels. Can I remove this antenna and install my own higher power and antenna.

That depends on what you mean by "my own higher power". If you're planning on using a pre-amp (an amplifier mounted very near the antenna), you'll need to wire that independently from the Orby cable.

I did not use the antenna supplied by orby. I have an 8 bay bowtie that I already had installed. I have a dedicated RG6 cable in every room already. I put a diplexer on a short jumper at each orby receiver.

There is no diplexer at the dish.
The dish is split with a 4 way power pass splitter to my 4 orby boxes.
Works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I did not use the antenna supplied by orby. I have an 8 bay bowtie that I already had installed. I have a dedicated RG6 cable in every room already. I put a diplexer on a short jumper at each orby receiver.

There is no diplexer at the dish.
The dish is split with a 4 way power pass splitter to my 4 orby boxes.
Works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Splitter is with all ports power-passing and possibly diode steering?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Splitter is with all ports power-passing and possibly diode steering?
A conventional satellite+OTA diplexer is just fine (power passing on the SAT side only). You typically don't want to be sending LNB power from the Orby receiver(s) to the OTA network.

If a pre-amp were used, the power inserter for it should be on the OTA network so it would not energize the satellite network. Some pre-amps use 48VDC power inserters.

That depends on what you mean by "my own higher power". If you're planning on using a pre-amp (an amplifier mounted very near the antenna), you'll need to wire that independently from the Orby cable.
I was hoping to remove the Orby antenna install my 125 mile (?) antenna. You guys snowed me With with talk of duplexers ect...

A conventional satellite+OTA diplexer is just fine (power passing on the SAT side only). You typically don't want to be sending LNB power from the Orby receiver(s) to the OTA network.

If a pre-amp were used, the power inserter for it should be on the OTA network so it would not energize the satellite network. Some pre-amps use 48VDC power inserters.
Oh I realize this;

But I was specifically inquiring about the 4-way satellite splitter used in "truckracer's" Orby setup. Which is a bit different than the standard installation.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I was hoping to remove the Orby antenna install my 125 mile (?) antenna. You guys snowed me With with talk of duplexers ect...
Sorry about the information overload.

What is the make and model of the antenna?

Many (if not all) of the antennas that advertise in excess of 90 miles range are amplified and would necessarily involve some additional effort in providing power to the antenna -- it is not a simple matter of connecting it up.

But I was specifically inquiring about the 4-way satellite splitter used in "truckracer's" Orby setup. Which is a bit different than the standard installation.
It shouldn't require anything over and above the standard Orby splitter (all ports passing DC). The OTA network is protected from LNB power by the diplexer(s) and the OTA network can't pass power (in the event that you're using a pre-amp) to the satellite network for the same reason.

If you went out of your way to use special ANT leg DC-passing diplexers, you could conceivably do some damage by sending DC voltages where they shouldn't go.

Because all Orby receivers send the same LNB voltage, you don't need to concern yourself with keeping them apart (as evidenced by the all ports passing recommendation).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)