Changeing Dish America Silver to Dish America?

gtjr92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I just called dish was wanting to change my package from Dish America Silver (Formerly Turbo HD Silver) to just Dish America. I tried to do this online, but it kept giving me an error and told me to contact dish.
I called them and the LAdy told me I had to have a tech come out and change and my dish to Dish 500 instead of dish 1000 or something, and maybe move the position.
I told her I'd call back. She said they would move me to satellite 77 or something
That doesn't make sense to me, I am not adding channels I am removing them, so why would they change any of these things????? I can clearly get all of the channels on Dish America Basic since I am already getting them on Dish America Silver. I am in the Cincinnati area. I have 722k and I am pointed to 110°, 119° and 129°

I'm guessing it's because the Cincy HD locals are on 77W and Cincy is an eastern arc market. Did you have a line of sight issue with the eastern arc and they put you on the western arc without HD locals? You don't currently have HD locals via satellite, correct?

Correct I don't have cincinnati HD locals via Satellite, I do have them VIA antenna, I also have SD locals via Dish. I am not sure why they set it up like this initially. I am almost the same distance from Dayton, OH as I am Cincy so maybe my location has something to do with it. That and the trees in my yard as well as others... When I got dish a couple years ago they did not have any HD locals.
Would getting the HD locals be the only reason to move my dish??
If they do move it are there any ramifications moving off my current set up?
I am pretty happy with my dish reception right now, I would rather go by the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach...

Correct I don't have cincinnati HD locals via Satellite, I do have them VIA antenna, I also have SD locals via Dish. I am not sure why they set it up like this initially. I am almost the same distance from Dayton, OH as I am Cincy so maybe my location has something to do with it. That and the trees in my yard as well as others... When I got dish a couple years ago they did not have any HD locals.
Would getting the HD locals be the only reason to move my dish??
If they do move it are there any ramifications moving off my current set up?
I am pretty happy with my dish reception right now, I would rather go by the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach...

No ramifications. You would have access to all national HD but would not have HD locals without either an arc change or a wing dish for 77W. Eastern arc requires the use of ViP receivers which you have. I suspect they will make the change as long as you have LOS to the eastern arc. If not, they'll leave you as you are with no HD locals. But there are no guarantees. Locals are included with all packages now so you're paying for them and might as well get them.

Ok thanks Laddy. I'll call them back. I don't have that extra insurance or whatever. Will they try to charge me to have somone come out and do this? The lady didn't mention anything about that today...

Ok thanks Laddy. I'll call them back. I don't have that extra insurance or whatever. Will they try to charge me to have somone come out and do this? The lady didn't mention anything about that today...

Hard to say for sure. They likely will try to get some bucks. If they contact you, it is usually free. Otherwise, they usually quote $95 without the protection plan and $15 with. The cancellation fee for the protection plan is $25, so it's still cheaper to sign up for the plan and cancel it than paying the $95. Sometimes they just add two years to your commitment. It depends to some extent on the CSR you happen to get. You can always try CSR roulette.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts