Changes coming for RTV programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.
TVLand was great back years ago. It's fun to go back and look at the very first month of the channel. When they first started they didn't even show commercials .They did retro commercials only.

I don't know when they launched, but I caught on in 1998 when I set up my C-band dish. I was on C-3 quite a lot watching it, MTV2, TLC, and for a while that military channel on TP24, before Oxygen was launched and took it. ZDTV saw me on C4 quite a lot. MTV2 and ZDTV also started with nearly no commercials. Although ZDTV didn't really go downhill until Comcast/G4 bough them, MTV went when they edged toward an "urban" feel rather that adult/alternative the had been to that point. I basically quit watching TVLand and MTV2 when they moved to G9 and scrambled.

I was looking further than the link provided about TV Land shows and noticed the Canadian channel has IMO better programming. Like the Red Green Show and Bizarre are listed.

I have boxes of old VHS tapes I go through from time to time. I know I have some recordings made from TV Land back at that time. Old episodes of Get Smart and Gomer Pyle in there.

Even some decade older tapes from other channels recorded in the 80s that still play pretty well considering how old they are. It was nice to watch without the pop-up graphics and screen bugs even the old commercials are fun to watch. I have some Lost in Space from USA network and TBS before Sci-Fi started.

I was looking further than the link provided about TV Land shows and noticed the Canadian channel has IMO better programming. Like the Red Green Show and Bizarre are listed.

That's because TV Land Canada in actually Canadian owned and they pay to use the TV Land name. I'm no expert, but they do have to carry a percentage of Canadian content in order to exist.

They used to carry "Smith and Smith", a sketch comedy show from the early '80s featuring Steve Smith (Red Green) and his wife doing a really low budget Sonny and Cher type show. It was really bad and yet I just had to watch.

TV Land did a lot of neat stuff at first. They used to carry failed TV sitcom versions of movies, like "Working Girl" starring Sandra Bullock.
Yeah. I archived the 1970's Shazam show when they showed it years ago . The old Captain Marvel Saturday morning show. It's just not the same network anymore. Here is someones poor copy on youtube

Last edited by a moderator:

The US TV Land channel must be very poor if the Canadian channel has better programming. The Canadian channel has deteriated to such poor programming and they are duplicated (not new episodes, same episode played twice or more each day) every day. They play 4 hours of Bizarre, 4 Hours of Red Green (these for their Canadian content) and 3 hours of Lassie each week day. At least they still play an episode of Andy Griffith.

Check here for the Canadian TVLand listings (channel 292), click on the show and see how many times it is repeated!
http://www2.canada.com/topics/enter...rtday=2010/03/25&starthour=2100&firstChan=268

Also note our other retro station, DejaView (channel 293) is also very poor.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)