Changing a recording from TV1 to TV2

acowley1

Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Minnesota
On the VIP 922, when I have two recordings planned at the same time with one on TV1 and the other on TV2, how do I change them around so that the one on TV1 records to TV2 and the one on TV2 records to TV1. I have played around with it and can't seem to find a way to do this. Any ideas?

I've run into something like that, where I wanted to watch what was on the other "TV". I just watch the TV recording in real-time, and it doesn't matter at that point.

Well, one tv is downstairs and the other is upstairs. My wife has a recording planned for TV1 (downstairs) during the hockey game I want to watch. So, I want to switch the recording to TV2 so I can watch the game on the big TV uninterrupted. These are the types of problems I have been running into. I don't understand why there isn't a way to set it up so you can designate to record to TV1 or TV2 and change that as you see fit. Maybe there is and I don't know it.

Instead of watching Live TV on each set, perhaps you could just wait a second or two for the recording to start, and then pull up the DVR button on each TV and select the current recording that you want to watch. That would work, wouldn't it?

garygaryj said:
Instead of watching Live TV on each set, perhaps you could just wait a second or two for the recording to start, and then pull up the DVR button on each TV and select the current recording that you want to watch. That would work, wouldn't it?

Yes it would work....wait about 15 min and you can fast-foward thru ads...

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Another way to swap recordings is to wait until one has started then go into PIP and do a swap then turn off PIP. If you are currently in Duo mode, switch to Solo mode first, do the swap then switch back to Duo mode.

Reactions: TheKrell
"I don't understand why there isn't a way to set it up so you can designate to record to TV1 or TV2 and change that as you see fit."

That's been my biggest gripe about the Dish DVR's for years. I figured it was a matter of time 'till they gave us better control over this, but apparently not.

For example, I want to record some stuff on TV2 while we watch stuff on TV1 in the living room. Then when my wife goes to bed at 11:00 I want the Daily Show to record on TV1 so she can watch whatever she wants on TV2 in the bedroom, etc. I've got a bazzillion examples of reasons to "just let me choose" which TV to record on rather than letting the DVR decide.

Sometimes the DVR will want to record back to back shows TV2, and we end up missing the last couple of seconds of the first show when the thing switches to the next timer/channel. I'd like to set it up so the show at 10:30 records on TV1, and the show at 11:00 records on TV2. You can force it to do so by starting the second recording 15 minutes early sometimes, but I'd rather just select TV1/TV2 rather than have to do this monkeying around (I've missed the last few seconds of a bunch of Workaholics episodes this way.)

I've been very happy with Dish for the many years I've had them, but this seemingly stupid little restriction just plain sucks.
Please Dish - give us the ability to specify TV1/TV2 if we want!

/End Rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeannie Bailey
"I don't understand why there isn't a way to set it up so you can designate to record to TV1 or TV2 and change that as you see fit."

That's been my biggest gripe about the Dish DVR's for years. I figured it was a matter of time 'till they gave us better control over this, but apparently not.

For example, I want to record some stuff on TV2 while we watch stuff on TV1 in the living room. Then when my wife goes to bed at 11:00 I want the Daily Show to record on TV1 so she can watch whatever she wants on TV2 in the bedroom, etc. I've got a bazzillion examples of reasons to "just let me choose" which TV to record on rather than letting the DVR decide.

Sometimes the DVR will want to record back to back shows TV2, and we end up missing the last couple of seconds of the first show when the thing switches to the next timer/channel. I'd like to set it up so the show at 10:30 records on TV1, and the show at 11:00 records on TV2. You can force it to do so by starting the second recording 15 minutes early sometimes, but I'd rather just select TV1/TV2 rather than have to do this monkeying around (I've missed the last few seconds of a bunch of Workaholics episodes this way.)

I've been very happy with Dish for the many years I've had them, but this seemingly stupid little restriction just plain sucks.
Please Dish - give us the ability to specify TV1/TV2 if we want!

/End Rant.

OMG... 2015 and this is STILL not an option. Unlike you I have NOT been a happy customer of DISH however i still have a year in contract and have to suck it up till then. When my Husband retires to the bedroom and likes his tv time i wish i could just swap the show from being tapped on his tv to mine... simple as that. why is this still not a easy function? simple simple request

OMG... 2015 and this is STILL not an option. Unlike you I have NOT been a happy customer of DISH however i still have a year in contract and have to suck it up till then. When my Husband retires to the bedroom and likes his tv time i wish i could just swap the show from being tapped on his tv to mine... simple as that. why is this still not a easy function? simple simple request
This has been resolved with the Hopper and floating tuners. All other receivers are fixed tuner receivers. There is a price associated with the added benefit. It all depends if you feel that feature is worth it.

Reactions: KAB
Again, your option is to upgrade to Hopper. Old technology is just that. Up to you to get with the times...or not.

If you have a VIP model DVR then you can turn off 'Record Plus' and it will record on whichever TV that you program the timer on.

If you have a VIP model DVR then you can turn off 'Record Plus' and it will record on whichever TV that you program the timer on.
But that all would have to be planned ahead of time...not very realistic.

You can do the swap feature as well, that was previously mentioned, but for most households... Not very realistic either. I think the price for the hopper is worth it, considering all the greater advantages that come with it. But I definitely agree Kab... Get with newer tech(for those newer features you desire) or pay less with old tech(as is with ANY technology)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)