changing aspect ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

motts

Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I have an older 61" Toshiba HDTV. I currently subscribe to COMCAST HD. My problem is since i have an older set i cannot change the aspect ratio from the TV itself. I was told by a Toshiba tech that the standards were change after my set was made to being able to change the aspect ratio from the set box to the TV itself. If that is the case then the TV industry said the hell with people who bought into HD early. I do not want to buy a new set so i signed up last night for VOOM because according to their website you can change the aspect ratio from their set top box. Is this accurate? My TV is 4:3 by the way. If this is not so then i will probably buy a new TV. Can anyone help me with this?

I guess my question wasn't technical enough. Can I stretch the picture from the VOOM set top box. I need to know this before i commit to them for a year

I can't see why you want to strech a to a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 HDTV? I can see taking a 4:3 picture and streching it to fill a 16:9 screen, by not the other way around? If for some reason you like to see a streched picture on a 4:3 (why?) then you could have just upgraded your HD cable box to one that has that function for free. Almost all current HD cable boxes now include the strech function.

my cable box does not have that capability. The reason that i bought a 4:3 TV this big back in 99 was because when hd broadcasts became more common i could get a 16:9 picture and even though it would have black bars on top and bottom the picture would still be big enough for me to enjoy. The hd picture in 4:3 just does not look right. I thought that i might get better picture quality if i could stretch the picture. Can i do this with the voom set top box

I still don't see what you saying? I think you are getting the term's mixed up. "Streching" refurs the the picture being streched from left to right, otherwise known as a 4:3 image filling a 16:9 screen. I think you are looking for the cable box to letterbox an image or give you the FULL 16:9 HD image on your 4:3 screen, without cutting off the sides. Again, for this feature you need to SWAP or CHANGE out your cable box for newer model, that your cableco will suppy for free. Any satellite providers current HD STB will also have this function, it is nothing special or new.

If I understand your qeustion, you want to see the HD image letterboxed on your 4:3 set. At this time the VOOM box will NOT allow that setting on a 4:3 HD capable set.

That is exactly what i am looking for and comcast's hd box does not have that capability. Thanks for letting me know that voom doesn't either

In my opinion, companies did consumers and themselves a disservice by selling HDTVs with 4:3 screens in the first place. I suppose the intent was to ease people into the technology, but it was horribly short-sighted. These sets aren't best suited for anything.

4:3 sets without a native widescreen mode. I can agree rhasselbaum.

4:3 with a native widescreen mode, It still a good solution with all the 4:3 material still about.

I agree with your statement about 4:3 aspect ratio tv's. If i was able to change my aspect ratio to 16:9 i would be perfectly happy with my present tv because when i purchased it 16:9 tv's were over 5000.00 and i figured that having such a big screen would still give me a nice picture even with bars at the top and bottom. I just had voom installed on saturday and i am probably going to buy a new 16:9 set as soon as i can sell my present tv

One last option, many HDTV's that were 4:3 and no native widescreen mode, were able to change to 16:9 by tweaking the venerable service menu. Just another thought on it is all.

The service menu is a semi secret menu, that has a trick to get into.

It is where techs will do professional calibrations, If a manufacture finds out the owner / user was in there, they can void your warranty.

Do a search on your model, with service menu after it, and I'll bet you find out how to get in there at least. Enough searches may actually produce the exact proceedure for getting the geometry to 16:9.... The service menus are very encryptic, I got into mine once and didn't have a clue, so Promptly exit'd the menu.

And I'm a tech from way back, with a degree in communication electronics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)