Changing from 2x500 dishes to 1000.

ubear7

Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
I was wondering if there was a way to change my current 2 dish system to one. I am currently subscribed to the everything package with HD and locals in the 33018 area.
My receivers are vip211, vip611, and a vip722. I have read about two different arcs, supposedly the east of the Mississippi is ea arc and is 61.5, 72.7 and 77 deg, however my system has always been 110, 119 and 129 deg. Am I missing something? With that in mind is there a way I can put up a single dish that will get all three from my location? :confused:

Your zip puts you in the Miami area (or lat least Miami locals)...

Miami locals (both SD & HD) are on 119W so you would need Western Arc (what you currently have now) to keep receiving the locals
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Miami, FL

you could get a Dish 1000.2 which gives you 110,119,129. I dont know how its all hooked up now but with the 1000.2 you only need one cable to each receiver (and use the separator on the 612 & 722)

Your zip puts you in the Miami area (or lat least Miami locals)...

Miami locals (both SD & HD) are on 119W so you would need Western Arc (what you currently have now) to keep receiving the locals
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Miami, FL

you could get a Dish 1000.2 which gives you 110,119,129. I dont know how its all hooked up now but with the 1000.2 you only need one cable to each receiver (and use the separator on the 612 & 722)
The original installer may have used 2 dish 500s to maximize the 129 signal, you might also consider a DISH 1000+ it is designed for international channels off 118.7 but it also receives 110/119 & 129 and is the largest standard dish.

Is there any particular reason that you don't like the 2-dish setup? Is it an eyesore?

Is there any particular reason that you don't like the 2-dish setup? Is it an eyesore?

No it has been liKe that for years. Thing is that the one aimed at 129 is lower than the other one, and I would not be able to raise it to the same height to clear growing neighbors trees? One would block the other. So I figured 1 at the high Position would be fine.

A dish 500 & wing dish can only run 2 receivers by themselves, you most likely have a DPP-33 or DPP-44 switch in the system. By going to a 1000.2 you could eliminate the need for the external switch (1000.2/.4 can run 3 receivers). There is no "upgrade" program for a newer dish. The Dish 1000.2 retails for about $100 and you are probably looking at about $100 labor to have it installed. You "might" get a trade in credit on the 33 or 44 switch, but don't hold your breath on that. DPP 44 switches are about $80 new, I think. 33s are only $40-50 but they are hard to come by for retailers. Dish has been rationing them for years. I don't know what their problem is with production on those.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I actually have two DP34 switches installed inside the house. Does that change anything?

If you have two dishes each pointed towards fewer satellites then you can peak the signals higher on each dish vs. having one dish that has to receive all the signals making it harder to peak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)